Flash

linpelk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hate flash! Hate it! But I know there are times when I need one. I only have my on camera flash and I refuse to use it so, of course, there have been times when I haven't been able to take pictures or they are so underexposed that they aren't worth keeping.

I know nothing about external flashes...NOTHING. So please talk slowly:drool:
I would like to purchase one so I don't HAVE to miss a shot if I need it. I have a Canon 30D. I don't want to spend a TON of money (I don't even know what the cost range is or what the difference would be between a cheap one or an expensive one), but I don't mind spending a few hundred. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm mostly interested in shooting people/kids.

Any suggestions??

this is something that is discussed on here all the time.. if you do a little search, you will find some great results, also go to strobist.com and check out the lighting 101 and they have some great tips on buying a flash...

i'm sure its using the on camera flash that is making you hate flash... cause on camera flash sucks... hopefully getting an external flash will stop you from hating flash, cause its a wonderful thing when used right

I'm sorry to repeat a thread that has been discussed at length. I will do a little research myself. I was just hoping for a couple of quick suggestions so I would have a couple of products to google and compare instead of starting at square one. I will look back here on some posts first. Thanks Chris.

The Speedlite 430ex is your basic flash unit and will cost you about $250-$300. The 580ex is the next step up, you can find it for around $400.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Speedlite-580EX-Digital-Cameras/dp/B000NP3DJW/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233792763&sr=8-2"]580ex on Amazon- read the reviews at the bottom of the page[/ame]

note that a flash unit is not the only thing you need 0 a good diffuser can really help you get more out of your flash.

Firstly for the popup if you take some white toilet paper and fold it over a few times and then place this infront of your flash it will diffuse the light and soften its effect (removing harsh shadows) - you can use an elastic band to hold it in place provided that it does not cover the flash head.

Then if you make the move to a speedlite like a 430 or 580M2 (either one is recomended) you can use the same method, but there are far better options on the market such as the Stofen Omnibouce, the Lumiquest Softbox and the Garry Fong Lightsphere - which one you go for will depend on budget and on your uses - myself I use a softbox and would not be without it

Also read up on manual use of the flash, though moder cameras will allow automatic flash shooting manual can give some great advantages (I can't comment since I have not yet started using manual flash so have no idea what to do ;))

Thanks so much. I just googled 430ex vs 580ex and got a nice article on The-Digital-Picture.com comparing the two. Thanks so much!

note that a flash unit is not the only thing you need 0 a good diffuser can really help you get more out of your flash.

Firstly for the popup if you take some white toilet paper and fold it over a few times and then place this infront of your flash it will diffuse the light and soften its effect (removing harsh shadows) - you can use an elastic band to hold it in place provided that it does not cover the flash head.

Then if you make the move to a speedlite like a 430 or 580M2 (either one is recomended) you can use the same method, but there are far better options on the market such as the Stofen Omnibouce, the Lumiquest Softbox and the Garry Fong Lightsphere - which one you go for will depend on budget and on your uses - myself I use a softbox and would not be without it

Also read up on manual use of the flash, though moder cameras will allow automatic flash shooting manual can give some great advantages (I can't comment since I have not yet started using manual flash so have no idea what to do ;))

Thanks for the advice on diffusing my on-camera flash in the meanwhile until I get an external flash. I was just reading an article and it mentioned the Stofen Omnibounce and I took a look at THAT as well. I will look at the Lumiquest Softbox as well. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

i dont think he meant just watch the video... i think he meant read the WHOLE lighting 101.. theres like 30 sections to it... long, but WELLLLL worth the read

Thanks. I actually saw all of the articles and started with the first one, but couldn't concentrate due to my 2 and 3 year olds running around screaming. I will try again later. The video was a really great starting point though and helped me to understand some of the basic equipment and lingo. Thanks again!

Cameta Camera has the Canon 430EX for $189.95.

Cameta Camera ResellerRatings rating.

planet neil: tangents is a good web site to check out if you want to learn how to use an external flash on-camera so that your picture don't look like you used on-camera flash.

Thanks Samanax! That seems like a good deal. I went to B & H to see what they are selling it for and it says discontinued. Is there a reason why they are discontinuing this product? Am I just looking at the wrong product?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back