flash

Alex_B

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
a couple of days ago I saw someone shooting outdoors with a quite expensive (D)SLR, it looked like he really spent some brain on composition
... but in daylight he used the built in flash on buildings more than 30 meters away! I guess he used a green programme and the flash just popped out since there was a bit of shade? *shivers*

or did i miss something here and there is really some use for a flash I missed? (no, he was not using ultrawide angle and was not trying to brighten up some close object in the scene)

... strange world ...

bitteraspects said:
some times a little fill helps bring your subject into perspective.

but that was the built in flash, so it could not really reach that far (30+ meters) in daylight. and in the foreground there was nothing.

i know that fill flash has its uses. but that was green grass, trees and a building, with trees and building being far away.

Torus34 said:
You are confusing the ability to purchase an item with the skill to use it. They are entirely separate.

that is true! unfortunately also the other way round .. being skilled to use it does not imply to be able to afford it ;)

but that person seemed not to be shooting entirely without brain but put some effort into it.

anyway, it was a very hot day, tropic conditions, so maybe his brain suffered from the climate a bit and he did not realise ;) .. my brain suffered too that day.

bitteraspects said:
on camera flash @ +3 FE. should still give you atleast a soft light on a building 30 meters away in sunlight

hmm, never tried it ... but i myself am flash lazy anyway. maybe I'll give it a try. The building was a Mayan temple by the way.

30 meters would be only a gn of 10 deppending on lens length and his ISO. The flash might have helped a little bit. I think most built in units could hit 30'. But how usefull it was, I could not tell you.

The guy prolly didn't know WTF he was doing. And he ain't alone! Look at the sports stadium during a match: thousands of spectators use their flashes. And none of those does anything useful....

The world is chock-a-bloc with nitwits.

W.Smith said:
The guy prolly didn't know WTF he was doing. And he ain't alone! Look at the sports stadium during a match: thousands of spectators use their flashes. And none of those does anything useful....

The world is chock-a-bloc with nitwits.

Hahaha, I see that and just get a chuckle. All these people who are getting these great pictures. I just think of their reaction of when they get them back. :lmao:

benhasajeep said:
Hahaha, I see that and just get a chuckle. All these people who are getting these great pictures. I just think of their reaction of when they get them back. :lmao:

many of them focus on the back of the head of the guy in the row in front of them anyway ...

All those 'nitwits' probably couldn't care less if the flash went off or not, they just want a picture of what's going on. As a kid, I took pictures in stadiums with a flash, and they turned out fine (for whatever reason).

Sheesh, easy on the people that aren't knowledgable about everything.

treehuggerhikerboy said:
Sheesh, easy on the people that aren't knowledgable about everything.

you are right ...
and after all I myself don'T know about everything ;) ... that is why i started wondering if it maybe was of use ...

treehuggerhikerboy said:
[...] they just want a picture of what's going on. [...]
They ain't THINKING! 'Cause it doesn't add any useful light, while draining the batteries FAST.
They ain't LEARNING! 'Cause next time they do exactly the same thing although they never actually see any added value in using the flash in the stadium.

'Nitwits' is a kind description...

W.Smith said:
They ain't THINKING! 'Cause it doesn't add any useful light, while draining the batteries FAST.
They ain't LEARNING! 'Cause next time they do exactly the same thing although they never actually see any added value in using the flash in the stadium.

'Nitwits' is a kind description...

...and maybe they really don't care. They just want to take a picture. Some people aren't interested in learning more about photography. They just enjoy doing exactly what they do now. That doesn't make you better than them.

I have no interest in learning more about basket weaving...and I don't give a crap if a pro-basket weaver thinks I'm doing it wrong.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back