Flashes over light rig

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by mwnikonD90, Aug 23, 2009.

1. mwnikonD90

mwnikonD90 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey all im a beginner and use d90 love it to bits, anyway im more a landscape outdoor photographer i wanted to ask. I have a sb 600 and was wondering should i get two sb 400 or two more 600s and softboxes for wireless control for indoor shoots, as im not into studio work really. My thinking its handyer to carry around sb's over clumsys light rig. Thanks in advance

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    www.strobist.com

SB-600's will barely be enough in a softbox, consider umbrellas instead. I'd say the SB-400 would be a waste of money.

Actually, if you're going to radio trigger, get Cactus V2s trigger/receivers and Vivitar 285HV's ($90 USD each.)

Cactus V2s Trigger/Receiver

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  3. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    couldn't agree more.
    What kind of indoor are you talking about?
    Depending on how far you're extending your lens and/or your lens size, you can already use your SB600 as a slave with built-in... can you be more specific what you would like to shoot.

4. thenikonguy

thenikonguy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    +2 on the 400 being a waste of money.. and I agree totally that you should use umbrellas instead of softboxes if your wanting to go 600's

I would nix the Cactus V2's and go with the cactus V4 instead, they are suppose to be quite a bit better..

5. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

There are great things that can be done with strobes over larger lights. The Strobis is definately the source for all things small flash another place for some help is the book "Hotshoe Diaries" the only thing with this book being it is Nikon heavy.

6. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    "Light rig"? You mean larger flashes like monolights? You'll get a better quality of light and better modifier options with those as opposed to small speedlights.

7. mwnikonD90

mwnikonD90 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Was only look for small set up because i have started to take pictures of parents there not getting any younger and needed just a little extra light for in the house. Thanks