Flashes ???? Please Help .....

RinconPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello there , If anyone can help me ,I have a Nikon D40 and When I take pictures of vehicles and the flash goes off it makes me mad cause the reflectors on the cars stick out , or you can see the flash off the paint , Or when I'm holding the lens my hand gets in the way ,,,LOL.,,, I have seen on line the something called a Pop-Up Flash Diffuser or a speed light that goes on top of the camera ? :confused:

I just want to say I'm new at this and I'm only doing this for fun , but my interest is taking pictures of my vehicles plus family photos . :D

Thank You

Check out the Strobist. Lots of great advice and technique there. You can make a simple diffuser out of a piece of white printer paper, which will soften your pop-up flash and cut down on those annoying reflections.

try taking a paper towel, or toilet paper, and simply rubber banding a few sheets around your pop-up flash. Add more or less as needed. Also remember you can control the flash intensity from inside the camera.

Lastly, check ebay for a dedicated flash. I just picked up an sb24 for $70.00. Then you can bounce light and it gives you allot more control options including getting an optional cable and using the flash off of the camera... Good luck

Also you mentioned your hand gets in the way. Try holding the lens from the bottom (thumb on left of the lens, all other fingers on right). This will remove the shadow from the flash hitting your hand and give you more stability. Also if you have money to spare I recomend getting an external flash.

Check out the Strobist. Lots of great advice and technique there. You can make a simple diffuser out of a piece of white printer paper, which will soften your pop-up flash and cut down on those annoying reflections.

I'm definitly gonna test out the paper ,, thanks

try taking a paper towel, or toilet paper, and simply rubber banding a few sheets around your pop-up flash. Add more or less as needed. Also remember you can control the flash intensity from inside the camera.

Lastly, check ebay for a dedicated flash. I just picked up an sb24 for $70.00. Then you can bounce light and it gives you allot more control options including getting an optional cable and using the flash off of the camera... Good luck

I will check it out thanks

Also you mentioned your hand gets in the way. Try holding the lens from the bottom (thumb on left of the lens, all other fingers on right). This will remove the shadow from the flash hitting your hand and give you more stability. Also if you have money to spare I recomend getting an external flash.

I will definitly practice holding the camera that way thanks I needed that advise there ,., thanks

Taking picture for cars would not be easy because of the shiny coat from the paint.
Using build-in flash only works from a certain angels but you will still see the flash rebounce if you take your picture from a 45 degree of the car.
If you have to use flash for your car photo, try taking it indoor with a low celing and place a white card (or business card) under the build-in flash and bounce the light up to the celing. If too dark because of low light after bounce, try different ISO or shutter speed.
Try different things out and you will know how much your build-in flash could do. (which I don't think it do much for me)
And diffuser doesn't do much for shiny surface. (in my option)

Kcc

Also you mentioned your hand gets in the way. Try holding the lens from the bottom (thumb on left of the lens, all other fingers on right).
I mostly hold mine like this....

It sounds as if you are usinf the built-in flash. Rarely wil you get great results by using it. An external that can go off camrea opens a whole new world for you.

Also you mentioned your hand gets in the way. Try holding the lens from the bottom (thumb on left of the lens, all other fingers on right).
I mostly hold mine like this....

It sounds as if you are usinf the built-in flash. Rarely wil you get great results by using it. An external that can go off camrea opens a whole new world for you.
That's what I meant :D

Most reactions

Back