Flashing someone, whats the best way to do it? ;)

terri said:
I love Mr. Nagy because of his ability to get a serious answer while enticing our slutty minds into the gutter - all in one thread.

Hats off to you sir! :salute:

(not my shirt, though, baby - keep dreamin') :p

I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you Terri.

doxx said:
the 10Ds build-in pop-up flash is useable for fill-in if you reduce it by
a few stops. Otherwise it's pretty much useless...
Yeah, I agree. That goes for any built-in flashes from my point of view. I hate using flash anyway, so it's not much of a loss for me. I just use it for fill or snapshots.

What kind of images are you using the flash for, vonnagy? If they are sit-down portraits, then having the sibject sit next to the window (covered with a white shower curtain if there's a lot of direct light coming in) and a reflector on the other side works pretty well. You can then dial the flash way back if you want it for highlights in the eyes. The reflector will usually give you that, though. That's what I did here (no fill):

SelfPortrait.thumb.jpg

The reflector was actually too close, as it almost washed out the side of my face.

The big problem with using on-camera flash as your main source is the harsh shadows that fall behind the subject and the flat, straight-on lighting.

terri said:
I love Mr. Nagy because of his ability to get a serious answer while enticing our slutty minds into the gutter - all in one thread.

Hats off to you sir! :salute:

(not my shirt, though, baby - keep dreamin') :p

Ahem, now just who's caption here say 'sex sells' ;)

What kind of images are you using the flash for, vonnagy?

well, I have done much in the way of portraits yet, but thanks for that bit of information. There was an outdoor concert at night and a midnight street fest which i tried to use my flash, with pretty crap results. The street fest i end up lugging my tripod around to take long shutterspeed shots, but I wasn't happy with those results either.

Good news is that i've finally found my manual! :cheer:

Thanks ksmattish for those guidelines! It is a pretty dinky popup flash.

I think there are going to be a couple of more outdoor events, I'll see what i can muster up with the flash that i've got!

Ahem, now just who's caption here say 'sex sells'

HEY!! You know very well Chase did it to me in a mirthful fit of evil. :twisted: He's a twisted little man.

<running>

terri said:

HEY!! You know very well Chase did it to me in a mirthful fit of evil. :twisted: He's a twisted little man.

<running>

He may be twisted but sure is funny. :LOL:

I'm just wondering what mine will be :? :pale:

:smileys: :smileys: :smileys:

this thread gets the MD seal of approval!!

md

You're a troublemaker...but then, we've already established that fact.

Actually, I'd love for someone to put together a flash tutorial...info on sync speeds, etc..(knowing my luck, we probably already have one in the forum that I missed).

karissa said:
terri said:

<running>

He may be twisted but sure is funny. :LOL:

I'm just wondering what mine will be :? :pale:

Nevermind, I don't wonder anymore..... Love my new title! Its so perfect. :D

Most reactions

Back