Flashpioint 320M

what would you recommend then? I'm really wanting to keep the price point <~$500. yea, i know... helluva budget :blushing: but for <$400 the flashpoint kit seems like it'd fit the bill for now. i can always add a more power unit to the duo later on though. unless you can point me in the right direction for something within +/- $100 from this kit, i think i'ma stick with it to get me by for our newborn shots :confused:

im gonna get a few reflectors and do my best to use natural lighting as much as possible, but still wanna tinker around with a light setup since it'll be 100% new to me. i'm gonna buy some cheap speedlights/wireless kit and tinker with them for outdoor stuff too.

Last edited:
When I first got my kit, I thought I absolutely had to have two lights. I found that two lights were really pretty hard to learn with.

I'd start with one 300w/s light, perhaps like this one:

Flashpoint DG600 300 w/s Monolight, Blue FP600DG

Get an umbrella, but better yet, a reflector (or make one). Get a good boom stand. You'll learn a lot more with one light than with two.

forgive me for my ignorance but what is the main difference of the blue dg600 vs a 620m? also, have an umbrella/softbox/stand recommendation from your experiences? thanks for your help, i appreciate it.

150ws is pretty weak. I really think you ought to reconsider. Any diffusion will spread that 150w/s discharge out over a larger area. Having at least one 300-600+w/s light for diffusion might be a good idea.

It depends on the use.

I'd say just get one 300 and one 150, or two 300's.

150 would prob work OK, but you don't want to limit yourself too much. It'd better to use a flash at half power so that you have some latitude.

I was using a B800, which was 320w/s and generally had it cranked to the lowest setting most of the time because it was too powerful for shooting inside.

If you're competing the sun, then you'll definitely want a bigger ligth. The person I was replying to once to shoot his kid, so unless he's photographing the new born outside, 150w/s will be plenty. I shoot on locations and often times outside, that's why I use a pack an head system with 800w/s + packs.

^^ yeah, that's true, but the OP was asking about diffusion, which, as I am sure you know, greatly decreases the amount of light relative to area.

While I agree that I often find my 300C's too powerful, it makes more sense to use an ND gel than to intentionally under-power your source. I'm a big proponent of over engineering whenever the budget permits it. Having two 150's will, in the long run, limit the OP's options.

Last edited:
thanks guys. when i get to work ill post the list i had set up and see what yall think

Matt- that is more than a good starting point, IMO. Unless the pros here have any other advice, I think you'll be off to a solid start.

thanks for the help! ordered everything i listed plus a yongnou wireless trigger kit off ebay (cheap but itll get me by). gonna tinker with the wireless and my sunpak some, may order a yongou yn-560 to play with as well for on the fly stuff when i done haul the monolight around

Their flashpoint 620 model has gotten the same score review but many more times and is 10 bucks cheaper. I would consider it. I have the 320 model and it's good for indoor use.

Edit---/
I see you've ordered already. Good luck and dont forget to post what you think of it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

^^ I'd second that. If you end up not liking the DG600, I'd exchange it with the 620M. This is the same light I have, only with DC operation.

I couldn't find it when I was looking for suggestions.

Can you send it back?

I hate to be a drag but that one shows no modeling light. Ya really want modeling lights even if they don't work while on DC.

it has a modeling light, it is LED instead of halogen.

^^ I'd second that. If you end up not liking the DG600, I'd exchange it with the 620M. This is the same light I have, only with DC operation.

I couldn't find it when I was looking for suggestions.

Their flashpoint 620 model has gotten the same score review but many more times and is 10 bucks cheaper. I would consider it. I have the 320 model and it's good for indoor use.

Edit---/
I see you've ordered already. Good luck and dont forget to post what you think of it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

honestly, i was gonna do the 620m but its on backorder, and with the baby 4-6 weeks away i wanted something asap. tisk on me for being impatient, but oh well

Most reactions

Back