Flashpioint 320M

OTOH, the LED modeling light would lend itself better with DC, if it works out OK.

Tell us how the power readout works. I am sure that there is some way to convert it to stops, It's prob. linear. but sill 1-6 is kind of an odd scale. If it is linear and 6 being be full power,

3 = -1ev (1/2)
1.5 = -2 (1/4)
0.8 ≈ -3 (1/16)
0.4 ≈ -4 (1/32)
0.2 ≈ -5, (1/64)
0.1 ≈ -6 (1/128)

If accurate, 1/128 is pretty good and with you shooting indoors will be a benefit. The 100% analog 620m only goes to 1/32, which can be still too powerful in some situations.

If it's not linear, post something and we can help you set up a test to measure output.

OTOH, the LED modeling light would lend itself better with DC, if it works out OK.

Tell us how the power readout works. I am sure that there is some way to convert it to stops, It's prob. linear. but sill 1-6 is kind of an odd scale. If it is linear and 6 being be full power,

3 = -1ev (1/2)
1.5 = -2 (1/4)
0.8 ≈ -3 (1/16)
0.4 ≈ -4 (1/32)
0.2 ≈ -5, (1/64)
0.1 ≈ -6 (1/128)

If accurate, 1/128 is pretty good and with you shooting indoors will be a benefit. The 100% analog 620m only goes to 1/32, which can be still too powerful in some situations.

If it's not linear, post something and we can help you set up a test to measure output.

on the site under "features", it says: :(

Power Control-Stepless Control from Full Power to 1/32 Power

1/32 isn't a bad thing, at this price range it's what to expect. I am not sure how that will translate to the readout. But you can figure that out very easily. It's actually not a bad thing at all, since the dial prob. isn't accurate anyway. Just tape a cheat sheet to the light and reference that.

Order yourself an -1 ND gel. they cost like 15 bucks/sheet and you cut them down and stack them. Two sheets at minimum power would be 1/128.

Seriously, it's a LOT cheaper to buy ND gels than to buy more wattage.

1/32 isn't a bad thing, at this price range it's what to expect. I am not sure how that will translate to the readout. But you can figure that out very easily. It's actually not a bad thing at all, since the dial prob. isn't accurate anyway. Just tape a cheat sheet to the light and reference that.

Order yourself an -1 ND gel. they cost like 15 bucks/sheet and you cut them down and stack them. Two sheets at minimum power would be 1/128.

Seriously, it's a LOT cheaper to buy ND gels than to buy more wattage.

good idea/point. thanks for all the help!

got it all in last night.... adorama sent me a 220v monolight. fail! gotta call them today and get them to send me a 120v one.

Saw a thread where Derrell recommended these and was wondering what all I'd need to get a basic setup with 2 of these for my D7000. We are having a newborn in August and I'd like to have a setup and take some pix of the wife before she comes! I saw a kit on adorama, but not sure what all is neccessary. I'm bout to go nose deep in lighting research tonight but wanna order these asap if I can get pointed in the right direction. I'm sure I need some sort of softbox/umbrella and stand with them, and a way to fire them? :confused:

Ohoh.. I'm not alone in the universe.. this is exactly what I've done.. for a week now.. but I'm learning a lot of stuff doing my research.. can't wait to read this thread :D

So, I'm assuming you got the correct items by now.. how did it all work out for you? I'm thinking about going with the Flashpoint II FP620MK Monolight Kit, 150 Watt Second FP620MK upgrade to a Adorama 60in Interior Umbrella, Removable Cover, White U60BC and then buying a secondary stand with speed light holder so that I can use my nikon flash as a light source as well. Saw that the wedding kits with the 620 got some unhappy reviewers.. so I'm wondering if the 320 is of better quality... :banghead: soo torn.. Really want to order some stuff and get started :D

Most reactions

Back