flatbed scanners

skatephoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i was thinking about purchasing a epson perfection 3170 scanner but dont know alot about scanners. I would be using it for mostly slide scanning. my question is that ive read reviews on the scanner and for the most part the reviews say that the scans for photos are great quality but does this mean that scanning slides and negatives will have the same quality as a scanned photo. thanks for ur help.

that scanner does have a film and slide adapter, but generaly flat bedcanners dont do as good a job on slids and negatives and dedicated film scanners do. if you are just going to be scanning slides/negatives i wouldn't go witha flat bed.

a dedicated film scanner gives you better results - but will cost
at least 2x the price of the Epson flatbed.
A film scanner for medium format goes for $2,000.

The DMax (ability to resolve detail in dark areas) is not as good with
a flatbed, but the flatbed scanner gives you more flexibility.

I'm using an Epson Perfection 2200 and the scan quality of slides is
pretty good. I won't use it for high end print work (I'm a graphic
designer) but the quality is good enough for inkjet/photo prints and
internet use...

can_top2.jpg

100% crop from a slide scanned at 2400 dpi, Epson Perfection 2200

I think Voodoo just scored a cheap flatbed scanner that allows you to scan transparencies so now he can scan his med format negatives.

I'm not sure of the make or model (Microtek or something to that extent). You'll have to fill us in on some details Vood.

I just got an Epson 3200 flat bed scanner. Haven't even hooked it up yet but I was told that it is fantastic by a friend in the graphics industry. I have seen film scans out of the last Epson model and they actually looked pretty good. Most of the cheaper scanners give a very flat image when scanning negs or slides but this one looked darned good. I have a Minolta Dimage IV film scanner ($299). It only scans 35mm film and slides but does a pretty neat job of it.

Most reactions

Back