Fleabay Buyers Beware, There's A New Scam

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I don't buy that much on ebay, but when I do I ALWAYS limit my searches to US only, because of the problems with China sellers. Apparently now they are either using a US mail drop address, or other bogus address so they can show their item location as being in the states. Popular item locations are CA and NJ. After you place the order, you find out it's actually shipping from China (if it actually does). From what little snooping I've done it looks like the same thing is occurring in the UK

I got scammed on one this past month, that hasn't delivered. When I bought it, the item location was showing NJ, but after payment it miraculously changed to show item location as China, not sure how that's taking place.The item is overdue, and no communication from the seller. Though a claim has been filed, it's a PITA process, that could have been avoided. Thankful it wasn't a large purchase.

If you click on the reviews of a seller, on the reviews page you will see the sellers actual location. If it says China, best beware.

Update to the scam alert-spoke with Ebay customer service today. Apparently they've already identified this problem and have a red alert out on China sellers to verify the location of the item. According to the rep there has been a rash of claims on Ebay Money Back resulting from Chinese sellers, signing up with US Postal addresses, but shipping from another country. In some cases as in mine, they are even changing the item location AFTER the sale in an attempt to cover their tracks.

Thanks for letting us know!

I had a similar almost-problem from a small website that I never ordered from before (and can't recall the name at the moment). I usually check out the company beforehand when I'm a new customer, but I was short on time so just ordered. Little did I know that they were claiming to be based in New Jersey, but really based in China. After I saw that shipping was from China, I somewhat panicked thinking it was a scam. The shipping status didn't change for over a week, so I followed-up with them via email, being very nice, asking them when they expected shipment. I actually received a reply. Item was supposed to get to me in 7-14 days. It took 28 days, BUT it got to me.

When I found out about the shipping from China, I did a quick web search. Results showed just that: website was really based in China using a fake routing or whatever (don't know what the IT terminology is) that showed them in NJ. Horrible reviews, many people never received their item, never received any replies, and never received their money back. I guess I was lucky?

@waday I was actually surprised when the CS at Ebay, told me they were aware of the problem and working on it before I even said much. Both posing a bogus location of the product and changing the item description after the sale are serious violations of their policy, that they will delete a seller for. However, with a site that large there's nothing to prevent a seller from opening a new mailbox and new account. Something that I suspect happens frequently. Lesson learned check all the reviews carefully before you buy. If the seller is based in China, red flags should be flying.

Final outcome update. About 2 days after I filed the claim, the seller responded with a claim the item had been delayed in route, but would be to me no later than April 5th (one day after the claim deadline) and updated shipping information which was no different (item still showing in China). Responded that nothing had changed in shipping information and that per policy would request refund on April 4th deadline. Next day shipper responded that if I didn't get item by April 5th he would refund my money. Again refused and demanded refund. Seller made another attempt to get me to wait past the deadline and again refused. On the evening before the deadline he refunded my money in full. As of today I still haven't received the item the seller claimed multiple times was in route. Had I agreed to wait past the deadline Ebay would have considered the complaint resolved and once a complaint is resolved it can't be reopened. I have noticed this seller is still on ebay, but his item locations are now listed as China.

Most reactions

Back