Fledgling shrike up close and personal

Arkanjel Imaging

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This baby shrike was cutting his wings today. He let me get within 5 feet before flitting off into the Mahogany. Enjoy!

3701986405_e2aeb3e7f4_b.jpg

3701987151_da7ec3b973_b.jpg

3702795494_07d8877e71_b.jpg

3702796614_50e4194030_b.jpg

Last edited:
"Wow, what a cool little bird," says I.

So I go look it up.

"Shrikes are known for their habit of catching insects, small birds, or mammals and impaling their bodies on thorns. This helps them to tear the flesh into smaller, more conveniently-sized fragments, and serves as a cache so that the shrike can return to the uneaten portions at a later time.[2]"

OMFG I'm gonna have nightmares for weeks.

:lol:

Nice pictures, very sharp. I agree on the crop.

"Wow, what a cool little bird," says I.

So I go look it up.

"Shrikes are known for their habit of catching insects, small birds, or mammals and impaling their bodies on thorns. This helps them to tear the flesh into smaller, more conveniently-sized fragments, and serves as a cache so that the shrike can return to the uneaten portions at a later time.[2]"

OMFG I'm gonna have nightmares for weeks.

:lol:

Nice pictures, very sharp. I agree on the crop.
that small thing can do that :confused:

that's scary mate, nice photographs, I agree with Rere about cropping some of the grass

Thanks guys. Ill have to try some different crops. I kind of like the bottom weighted feel but tighter might be better.

Shrikes are really cool but nasty, cranky little birds. We have lots of them in our neighborhood. They screech and divebomb our cats incessantly.

Thanks guys. Ill have to try some different crops. I kind of like the bottom weighted feel but tighter might be better.

Shrikes are really cool but nasty, cranky little birds. We have lots of them in our neighborhood. They screech and divebomb our cats incessantly.

Better watch they don't impale your cats on some loose thorns somewhere.

Jesus.

:confused:

Better watch they don't impale your cats on some loose thorns somewhere.

Jesus.

:confused:

I dont think thats going to be an issue. Right now the score is cats: 3, shrikes: 0 (over two years.)

Edit: a note on the varying color; there was patchy clouds and a setting sun when I shot these. Some are with a really warm, direct sun color (#2, #4). And others are completely overcast (#1, #3).

Double edit: recropped nice and tight. Survey says?

Last edited:
Lovely pictures of the little bird. If you could get closer to the ground I think you would catch the bird in another angle and not from above. Think this would make the pictures even better.

with kind regards
Patricia

Lovely pictures of the little bird. If you could get closer to the ground I think you would catch the bird in another angle and not from above. Think this would make the pictures even better.

with kind regards
Patricia

I tried. Unfortunately it was in my front yard. i.e. cars, house, etc. were in every direction.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back