Flex tripod

Thebigbarkhouski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What do you guys think about the flexible tripod for DSLR's....brands...pros....cons? Let me have it! I need something compact for trvels as I'm backpacking for the next year or maybe more.

Do you mean those little ones that stand up about a foot high?

1) Be careful. Don't let your DSLR fall over.
2) Make sure you buy the right one. Cheap ones aren't heavy enough, or built for a DSLR.

I want one, I just can't be bothered to spend the money right now. Great for something like a low to the ground landscape shot, or just having something around in the car all the time.

Not sure what I think about it replacing a tripod for a lot of things, but if you're hiking around I think it could be really useful (if it balances out with your DSLR and lenses).

Have an early model Slik Mini that's seen tons of use with every camera I own. Very tough overall with non-slip leg locks. Tiny when collapsed.

The one I'm looking at is a gorilla pod by joby. It seems right for me but its not. Cheep:(

Personally, I don't see a use for them. They are, as you said, not cheap and really, they aren't sturdy enough to hold up my camera with a lens mounted.... at least not enough for me to be confident walking away from it. You can get a lightweight real tripod and get way more use out of it than a gorilla pod. I think that they are meant more for point and shoot cameras or bridge cameras.

Gorilla Pods are more about grip than standing stability, especially with a DSLR. Take a look at the teensie Sliks or the little Manfrotto table top model. A heavier but ultra-stable grip solution is a Manfrotto SuperClamp+small ballhead.

I got the gorilla pod! It's the zoom and says it holds the weight of my Nikon D3300+zoom lens, I'll let you know if its true when it comes!

Works great hold up Nikon D3300 with 18-55 lens just fine! Really study feeling I totally trust it.

Most reactions

Back