Flickr advantages?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Aquarium Dreams, May 20, 2007.

1. Aquarium Dreams

Aquarium Dreams TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    For awhile now, I've been wondering what people get out of Flickr. For me, it can be a source of inspiration and ideas. I can see how it could be used for socializing in a virtual sense or with people one already knows, but has anyone ever used it to meet other photographers in their area, and then actually gone shooting with them or made meaningful networking contacts? Has anyone ever made a sale, directly or indirectly, from their Flickr and how? Does anyone use it as an archive for all their photos and then do you share these photos with everyone or keep them private? Does it have a practical use for you or is Flickr just another virtual social toy, to be used for fun and not much else? I'm interested in what people think about this..

2. -spam-

-spam- TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes. There are thousands of meet up groups on there for heaps of cities around the world. There is one for every capitol city in Australia and i have organised and attended several meets with the people on there. Its a good way of meeting local like minded photography buffs.

If you pay for a pro account then there is nothing to stop you using it as another backup source. I know a few people that upload full size originals of their photos so they can get access to them if they arent at home.

Personally, i use flickr as a showcase for what i feel is my best work. I upload them at 1000x670 so they are big enough to be seen properly and that they will generally fit on peoples screens (who honestly uses 800x600 these days?)

3. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Along with the storage, the community aspect, flickr has become a spot for talent hunting. Apart from the reported handful of big breaks (Toyota, Microsoft), most buyers are looking to get photographers for cheap - which can be good for a beginner to set the ball rolling. Either way it is a global directory and it's recommended to have a 'showcase' there. You never know where your next opening will come from. There are a plethora of Groups to hook up with with. If you don't see one that fits your interest, open one.

Couple of related articles:
    http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/04/flickr-and-you-part-1-rebekkas_19.html
    http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/features/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003579878

4. montresor

montresor TPF Noob!

I keep an informal portfolio of 50 pictures on it. For serious archival purposes, I use PhotoShelter, which has the advantage of being a full-service photographer's resource. It's a pay thing, but if I eventually get good enough that it would not seem quixotic to sell images, PS can do that, for a better rate than most places.

The advantage of flickr is that it's free and easy to navigate. I have folders and some public stuff on PhotoShelter, but it's not so easy for non-members to find their way through; and in any event, it costs a few bucks -- $10 a month for 10g storage. They recently added the option to buy 1tb of storage for $1000 a year; if that's too pricey, you can get 500g for $600. :shock:

5. -spam-

-spam- TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A flickr pro account, something like $24 US a year for unlimited uploads, unlimited storage and unlimited bandwidth.

Just wish that they would add the ability to put a password on a set so if i got into wedding photography, i could create a private set for the couple and give them the password for it.

6. montresor

montresor TPF Noob!

PS will do that. You can also watermark with their tool or your PhotoShop. You can also sell your photos through them (their fee was around 10% last time I looked, which is competitive). -- they will broker a sale amd you provide the print, or they will generate a digital print to your specifications and ship to the buyer. It's a real flexible thing, I'd recommnd taking their tour -- it has so much more function than I could ever use.

Not to be like Benjikan with Pentax here :wink: but I like Photoshelter. People like David Burnett and Annie Leibovitz use it, so I figure it's good enough for a clumsy beginner like me! :mrgreen:

7. Peanuts

Peanuts TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Spam. You can create a private set and then get a link to view it. Only people with the link (and yourself of course) can see the images. So - it is slightly password protected :)

8. Seefutlung

Seefutlung TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have done all that you wondered ... but through the Smugmug forum of DGRIN.

9. M-O-S

M-O-S TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't see what flickr has to offer you when you upload your photos

10. -spam-

-spam- TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Must admit that i hadnt thought of that. Although the only thing i see that would be a pain is the url to the actual set. It would have so many numbers at the end, that it would be annoying to type that in everytime. Like this,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/-spam-/sets/72157600181921554/

Fine if i emailed them the link, but if they wanted to show their friends the proofs when they arent at home it would be annoying to type in the url.

Where as if i could give them a link to my sets or collections page (Say a collection called "Wedding Photography") they could click that and navigate to the set for their wedding. Just seems more convenient.

11. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It has practical uses. Flickr is the only web-photo-store with a built in API. Combined with cakephp, phpflickr or some other server side programming you can have access to stored images from within a programming environment :)

So when a friend and I created our online gallery we used flickr. I coded the webpage and the script which handles the API and now we just need to upload a photo to flickr and our gallery is automagically updated. (I know I'm a geek :( )

12. Aquarium Dreams

Aquarium Dreams TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the responses, everybody. I would seem that Flickr is what you make of it.

And Garbz, I have no idea what you're talking about, but it's incredibly hot.;)