Flickr as a promotional tool?

kajiki

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm informed by various people that creatives regularly surf Flickr to source images (by this I don't mean steal them, I mean to lawfully locate images).

I've just spent most of today brainstorming and tagging existing images. I think all of them are 100k or thereabouts each; each with a reminder on the file info tab of non syndication etc. What else is viable as a means of promotion in respect of Flickr, that doesn't compromise my rights OR, is it all just a big waste of time?

I guess you're not aware that Flickr is owned by the large stock agency Getty Images?

If you visit Getty Images web site they have information about how they crawl all the Flickr images looking for material.

I guess you're not aware that Flickr is owned by the large stock agency Getty Images?

If you visit Getty Images web site they have information about how they crawl all the Flickr images looking for material.

Is that not against copyright? So watermark everything?

I know about Getty, though their use is not exclusive?

Is that not against copyright? So watermark everything?
Getty doesn't just steal images. Go look at what their web site says they do.

However, it does pay to take a close look a Flickr's TOS. I don't post images there. Protect Your Flickr Photos! | Photo Attorney

I know about Getty, though their use is not exclusive?
Getty offers both RF and RM usage to stock image buyers.

Visit their web site and read their information for yourself.

Currently my settings look like this:

4428148707_f143417b67_o.jpg

I know of at least one sale I made because of Flickr...for something I didn't even have listed in my shop, but because they'd seen a picture of a pile of my vintage camera buttons, they asked and I made a custom listing of just the cameras they requested.

I've had relative success in hosting "galleries" on flickr...I link to my collections page (not my photostream) from my website. if your photos are well organized, it can be useful. I also watermark everything and put my website in the description (when I remember). See the link in my signature.

Getty doesn't just steal images. Go look at what their web site says they do.

Where exactly is this information on their website?

Other than their Flickr Collection (Which you would have to actively submit photos to), I see no mention of Flickr.

This is the page that talks about that.

However, it does pay to take a close look a Flickr's TOS. I don't post images there. Protect Your Flickr Photos! | Photo Attorney

Because of the actions of a third party? How is that Flickr's fault?

The exact same thing could happen on any photo hosting site where the photos can be seen by the general public. Or anything posted on TPF, or anywhere else on the internet.

Their TOS basically just says the same thing everyone here knows (or should know)- if you can see it you can steal it, and that they will not be held responsible if that happens.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back