Flickr Gets Photos to Yahoo Fast!

JG_Coleman

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jgcoleman.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been baffled recently to discover how fast Flickr integrates photographs into Yahoo!

For example, I posted a photograph of Indian Wells State Park about two or three days ago... a small park in Shelton, Connecticut that most of the world, even country, doesn't even know to exist.

Already I've gotten a view on Flickr that was directed from Yahoo. I was amazed to find that when you search for something like "Indian Wells Shelton", my Flickr photograph is already in the first page of results.

And yet, I pay for my own domain and Zenfolio hosting... and I've never seen a single one of my photographs in my own galleries show up in a search result... despite all kinds of SEO tagging and even after some have been posted for months. Same goes for my Fotolia stock photos... never seen a single one in a search engine result. Yet this free, non-commercial Flickr account got me first-page results in a couple days.

I just don't get it...

Maybe Flickr is a better way to get one's photos out there than I thought!

Photos yes, name no.

If someone searches JG Coleman do you want them to end up at your flickr page or your homepage? Currently the top result for your name is your homepage, but people will never be able to accidentally end up there by searching for photo descriptions unless search engines index your page in such a way. This is exactly what yahoo does with flickr.

What do you want people to do? People who are looking for you by name, or get attracted to your homepage are likely to become customers if so inclined. People who are looking at flickr are there often just to look at pretty pictures, and will leave once their daily happiness quota is full.

Photos yes, name no.

If someone searches JG Coleman do you want them to end up at your flickr page or your homepage? Currently the top result for your name is your homepage, but people will never be able to accidentally end up there by searching for photo descriptions unless search engines index your page in such a way. This is exactly what yahoo does with flickr.

What do you want people to do? People who are looking for you by name, or get attracted to your homepage are likely to become customers if so inclined. People who are looking at flickr are there often just to look at pretty pictures, and will leave once their daily happiness quota is full.

I see your point... certainly, I would rather have people go to my own domain where I can make sales rather than just idly looking at my Flickr posts.

However, the problem with my "name", thus far, is that very few people know it. Likewise, and perhaps more importantly, few people know what I take pictures of. I would never want to, for instance, replace search engine results for my own domain with Flickr results. But, I do think it's cool that some of my Flickr-posted photos will show up based upon content, rather than based upon my name.

I mean, I certainly can't sell photos on Flickr... but at least I can write "See more at JGCOLEMAN.COM" into their description. In a perfect world, everyone would clamor over my photographs and look me up by name. Until then, though... I certainly appreciate that Flickr can expose my photography to individuals that may have no idea who I am, but that may be interested in my subject matter.

Most reactions

Back