TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.gregorytran.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi.

Something I just noticed.

I uploaded a picture of tomato sauce to my Flickr, and in my iPhoto it looked great. Bright red, nice color, etc. However, when i looked at it on flickr it looked terrible! It was brownish red and the color was completely wrong.

The photo was shot in raw, and i used iphoto to adjust some levels, and used the built in thing to send it to Flickr.

I did some googling, and found some stuff about sRGB, and how safari would render it correctly, so i looked at it under safari, and sure enough it looked right.

However, i tried emailing myself the photo using the iPhoto2Gmail plugin for iphoto, and when i looked at it in firefox it looked correct also.

How come it looked right in gmail, but not on flickr?

Also, how can i make iphoto do the right format so all my stuff doesn't look bad in flickr? i never noticed this before but now that i do... it kinda blows...

Thanks!

It sounds like a colour management issue. Make sure that you export your images in sRGB and then upload them to Flickr. If you started editing in RAW, there's a good chance that the colour space you were working in was ProPhoto RGB or AdobeRGB (likely the latter; that tends to go brown in the reds when viewed as if it were sRGB, while ProPhoto just looks blackened and dead).

Like Musicale said - it's probably a clor space issue, but - If we can't see them we can't tell what's wrong!

Show some examples.

good point

here is the picture in question. in iphoto, it looks really red... like tomato red lol... but here it looks kinda brownish red... and looks kinda not great...

how do i make sure iphoto makes my raws into sRGB instead of the adobe one?

3794308178_79e2b5be28_b.jpg

Yep. Colourspace issue. I looked at it in QuickLook in OS X (which is colour managed; for that, I have some serious love for Apple), and confirmed in the file information that the image has an AdobeRGB profile.

I'm not sure how to change this in iPhoto, to be honest, but the option should be somewhere in your export settings. Poke around and eventually you'll find that something is set to export with AdobeRGB. Set it to sRGB and that should solve your problem.

This happened to me before. If you have PS, go to File > Save for web & devices... I'm pretty sure there's quicker ways to do this in PS, but I never figured it out.

the real issue is you don't have a pc. FAIL.

This happened to me before. If you have PS, go to File > Save for web & devices... I'm pretty sure there's quicker ways to do this in PS, but I never figured it out.

Edit/Assign Profile

or

Edit/Convert to Profile

If you don't have anything useful to add, kindly keep away from the keyboard.

The OP is using iPhoto and probably doesn't have PS. Colour management is an issue which is not dependant on which operating system is being used, in the majority of situations. As for whether or not Macs are better for photo editing, there are a myriad of reasons why professionals in various fields of study and business use Apple's products instead of PCs.

The OP is using iPhoto and probably doesn't have PS. As for whether or not Macs are better for photo editing, there are a myriad of reasons why professionals use Apple's products instead of PCs.

that is something useful. there's also a reason why apple only has 8% market share of computers - because they suck and have compatibility issues.

there's also a reason why apple only has 8% market share of computers - because they suck and have compatibility issues.

yes, the reason they only have 8% is because they suck.. CLEARLY you know something that the rest of the world doesnt... perhaps they only have 8% because people are cheap.. people would rather spend 600-800 bucks, once every 3 or 4 years, as opposed to spending 1200 bucks ONCE, and never have to get a new computer again and they don't know a good product when they see one.. perhaps people enjoy getting viruses, and blue screens of death, and constantly having to force quit.. personally I think people like PC's because they like being tortured.. I've been using mac for 8 years now, and have not ONCE had ANY sort of issue.. but clearly they suck.. and I must have 3 freak machines that have NO issues..

you clearly don't know what your talking about.. so shut up, and get a life.... oh and next time you get your blue screen/virus/freeze remember that i havent seen a freeze/blue screen/virus or ANY ISSUE in 8 years

The OP is using iPhoto and probably doesn't have PS. As for whether or not Macs are better for photo editing, there are a myriad of reasons why professionals use Apple's products instead of PCs.

that is something useful. there's also a reason why apple only has 8% market share of computers - because they suck and have compatibility issues.

I am a PC guy but I do not think your statement is correct. Both PC and Mac machine are fine machines. It get the job done and I do not think one is better than the other. In some area, Mac shines. And in some other area, PC do a better job.
Okay, lets don't start a Mac vs PC here ... :)

Maybe watch a little video will help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I currently use a PC but if I had the money I would buy a Mac straight off - everyone I know that has one cannot speak highly enough of them especially for work with graphics xxx

Most reactions

New Topics

Back