Flickr makes my pictures look like dog poo

I currently use a PC but if I had the money I would buy a Mac straight off - everyone I know that has one cannot speak highly enough of them especially for work with graphics xxx
I'd like to get a MAC too but i'm just so used to the right click :meh:

the real issue is you don't have a pc. FAIL.

If you don't have anything useful to add, kindly keep away from the keyboard.

The OP is using iPhoto and probably doesn't have PS. Colour management is an issue which is not dependant on which operating system is being used, in the majority of situations. As for whether or not Macs are better for photo editing, there are a myriad of reasons why professionals in various fields of study and business use Apple's products instead of PCs.
Thanks MusicaleCA.

Mac bashing is so last decade. People who do it have absolutely no clue as to what's going on with computers these days.

Apple has 91% of market for $1,000+ PCs, says NPD | Betanews

Apple has 91%, that's right, 91% of the market share regarding sales in June on computers costing over $1,000.

Macs today aren't the Macs of yesteryear.

As for Macs and photography, just about every book I have on photo editing shows OSX screen shots of CS3/4. Every course I've attended the host used a Mac. Macs dominate in creative circles.

Some folks need to get over the PC vs. Mac thing and be a little more open minded about technology. The beautiful thing about technology is that it changes.

I used to be a PC guru until about 4 years ago. Then I had the chance to test (I'm in Quality Assurance) a then new Intel Mac and it was love at first byte. Without a doubt the Intel Macs are the most powerful and useful business tool out there right now.

/rant

:D

I currently use a PC but if I had the money I would buy a Mac straight off - everyone I know that has one cannot speak highly enough of them especially for work with graphics xxx
I'd like to get a MAC too but i'm just so used to the right click :meh:
You haven't used a Mac because for the last, oh, 15 years or so. They have right click. As a matter of fact they have right click, left click, center click, scroll wheel, pinch click, etc. The Mighty Mouse does everything.

And like all Mac products, it has style:

wirelessmm.jpg

If you don't like the modern styling, buy an aftermarket Logitech mouse. It's no different than PC.

You haven't used a Mac because for the last, oh, 15 years or so. They have right click. As a matter of fact they have right click, left click, center click, scroll wheel, pinch click, etc. The Mighty Mouse does everything.

And like all Mac products, it has style:

wirelessmm.jpg

If you don't like the modern styling, buy an aftermarket Logitech mouse. It's no different than PC.
*RUNS OUT TO GET HIS FIRST MAC*

that is something useful. there's also a reason why apple only has 8% market share of computers - because they suck and have compatibility issues.
You have your head so far up Bill Gate's rear end you can't even see what's going on around you.

Mac OS X market share accelerates in 2008 « Successful Software

It's up to 9.6% last year and it saw a 32% gain in market share. Oops. This year, last June, Mac sales topped 91% of PC sales for computers costing over $1000. Mac doesn't have a cheap Netbook - YET.

Mac is growing by 30%-40% yearly now. A lot of this has to do with them moving to the Intel platform and a lot of it has to do with Vista's abysmal failure.

People are tired of viruses, lock-ups, crashes, driver incompatibilities, registries, etc. I had no idea just how liberating it could be having a computer that actually works. One which I didn't have to reformat every year just to get rid of the quirks caused by my installing and uninstalling all sorts of software. I don't need special 3rd party software to uninstall an application on OSX, I just grab the icon and drag it to the trash bin. No uninstall routine, no registry artifacts, no hidden folders hogging drive space left behind.

Ironically, the only time my Mac's have crashed on me is when I've been using Microsoft products. Native Apple applications never give me problems. And talk about amazing compatibility...

I bought a Canon HF200 last week. Of course the HD video camera didn't come with OSX drivers to pull the video off the camera (proprietary file format, it doesn't just save MP4 files like the literature claims). I thought, "oh crap, time to call Canon". First I plugged the new camcorder into my Mac and guess what? Poof. The Mac had the software already on it to read and import the video files from my camera and I took the video straight into iMovie. Sweet! That's where the video would be going for editing anyway.

So, your notion that Macs suck and are incompatible is 100% inaccurate. On our corporate Exchange network I access all network resources 100% seamlessly and unlike when I use my Windows machine, I'm not prompted for passwords every 2 minutes as I navigate between resources.

Last edited:
the real issue is you don't have a pc. FAIL.

for the record, i have pc's and mac's and use both of them... i use pc's for some things... and mac's for everything else...

what can i say... most of my non-work stuff i prefer using the mac...

funny i didn't mean to start a pc/mac war here :eek:

back to my original question.. ok this sucks... i'm surprised there aren't more ppl that use iphoto here... mebbe that's too noobish...

does lightroom have an option to automatically make things into sRGB's?... i've been contemplating jumping to that but haven't made the leap yet...

back to my original question.. ok this sucks... i'm surprised there aren't more ppl that use iphoto here... mebbe that's too noobish...

does lightroom have an option to automatically make things into sRGB's?... i've been contemplating jumping to that but haven't made the leap yet...
What color space do you have your camera set to?

Lightroom imports all of my images as sRGB files but then I record them in camera in this format.

you will not be let down by lightroom.. i have been using it for about 1.5 years, and because of its power, its pretty much ALL i use for editing now.. i hardly ever use photoshop anymore..

BTW Tharmsen.. your the man!

If there's not a rule now about PC vs Mac threads, there soon will be. In the meantime, can we get back to the OPs original question about image colour reproduction.

tharmsen... my camera is set to RAW mode... does it only matter what it's set to if i use JPG?

if not i'll check it when i get home tonight

tharmsen... my camera is set to RAW mode... does it only matter what it's set to if i use JPG?

if not i'll check it when i get home tonight
Yeah, in RAW mode it's up to the application you're using to import I believe (can someone clarify?).

So, by default, Lightroom imports in sRGB apparently because I never changed it.

I don't use iPhoto since I have more powerful applications so I can't help you there. But Lightroom will bring your RAW files in as sRGB images by default.

Most reactions

Back