Flickr partners with Getty

bahandi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone have any opinions or comments regarding their partnership? I was always interested in stock photography, but didn't think any of my photos would be considered eligible under the standards.

It's similar to when leeches meet a swimmer in a remote swamp...

stock photography agency. They scour Flickr looking for photos they can sell to clients, then they contact the photographer about using the photo.
You should go to Flickr and check out their "Call for artists" group where people submit photos to be considered for inclusion into a stock photography portfolio. You quickly realize that most of the submitters have no idea what stock photography is.

This is pretty old news though, and unless you opt into it, it's not even an issue.

The business of stock photography has changed dramatically in recent years.

It used to be a viable way to make a living, but not anymore. The digital camera explosion and the Internet has changed it into a nickle and dime way to earn money from stock photographs.

Thanks for the insight. It makes sense that the digital age has drastically changed stock photography.

I was curious though, would it hurt to allow one's photos to be licensed through Getty? Not so much for a profit, but to allow people to use your photo that you didn't intend to sell?

Well, I guess it depends.

If they offered you to submit some of your pictures, I don't know how much you would get for them (probably not much). Not much is still more than nothing, but then again - you have no idea where/how it will be used.

Personally I opted out of that on Flickr. I don't have model releases for any of my pictures with people in them anyway. Which is something you would need for stock.

If you don't care about the money and just want to make them available to people - you could always just put them in the public domain.

I personally wouldn't do that either though, lol.

I was curious though, would it hurt to allow one's photos to be licensed through Getty? Not so much for a profit, but to allow people to use your photo that you didn't intend to sell?
Any images you have placed with Getty, or any other stock house, are then precluded from you being able to grant exclusive usage rights to anyone else, which diminishes a photos value.

You also lose the choice of who uses your licensed-to-a-stock-house photo.

Most reactions

Back