Flickr security

pretty much. Same here, same everywhere.

only solice is that over the web all your stuff can be grabbed, but only 72-96 dpi. depending on your browser..

not enough for someone to reproduce a 8x10 print and have it look good.

Does the flickr pro account let you watermark on the fly like the smugmug does? that is a good idea if you can make a semi-transparent logo and stick it in a lower corner... just enough hassle to make messing with it not worth it.

only solice is that over the web all your stuff can be grabbed, but only 72-96 dpi. depending on your browser..

not enough for someone to reproduce a 8x10 print and have it look good.

Does the flickr pro account let you watermark on the fly like the smugmug does? that is a good idea if you can make a semi-transparent logo and stick it in a lower corner... just enough hassle to make messing with it not worth it.

I agree with above, I think just a logo on the bottom would keep people from coping and pasting for whatever reason.

Good idea Thor, I'll check into that. I just have the basic account right now, but was wondering about the security of my photos before upgrading and placing all my photos on that site.

Anything that can be displayed on the screen, can be saved. All they have to do is know how to use the "Print Screen" key. That said, they can't get higher quality than they can display. I have a script that I run stuff through before I upload to flickr that resizes to a maximum size of 1024px and puts my signature and a copyright symbol and the year in the corner of each image. (I also use a CC license for almost all of my images, so I'm not real worried about their use.) I figure if someone likes something enough to use it as wallpaper, more power to them.

Anything that can be displayed on the screen, can be saved. All they have to do is know how to use the "Print Screen" key. That said, they can't get higher quality than they can display. I have a script that I run stuff through before I upload to flickr that resizes to a maximum size of 1024px and puts my signature and a copyright symbol and the year in the corner of each image. (I also use a CC license for almost all of my images, so I'm not real worried about their use.) I figure if someone likes something enough to use it as wallpaper, more power to them.

Where did you get that script from? name?

You could however limit the exposure to your friends and/or family and/or just you. USD25 per annum for unltd storage is nothing.

Where did you get that script from? name?

I wrote/adapted it from a couple different bash scripts I found on the web. I'd be happy to share them with others if anyone interested. I have no idea if they'd work on windows or mac. They also tend to get adjusted every time I change my workflow. The most basic one takes a jpg and resizes it and watermarks it. The one I use most often takes the my edited .tif converts to .jpg, resizes, watermarks, and then pulls exif from the original .TIF output my Canon's RAW conversion from the windows machine. It's a bit of a mess.

If you're still interested, let me know. Maybe I'll do a post on my screwy work-flow to try to get improvements.

Deviant art puts a translucent watermark right in the middle of the frame if you choose too. I water mark everything I put up on that site. Here I am a little more trusting.

I wrote/adapted it from a couple different bash scripts I found on the web. I'd be happy to share them with others if anyone interested. I have no idea if they'd work on windows or mac. They also tend to get adjusted every time I change my workflow. The most basic one takes a jpg and resizes it and watermarks it. The one I use most often takes the my edited .tif converts to .jpg, resizes, watermarks, and then pulls exif from the original .TIF output my Canon's RAW conversion from the windows machine. It's a bit of a mess.

If you're still interested, let me know. Maybe I'll do a post on my screwy work-flow to try to get improvements.

It sounds interesting so let me know. :thumbup:

With flickr, you have the option of placing what I guess woudl be a transparent watermark over - and people other then yourselves can't right click and save. Of course, that doesn't keep them from using the print-screen function.
You can also turn off the option for images to be viewed in larger sizes - which I have recnetly done. Having someone email me and tell me that they printed one for their kitchen (I use to upload them huge) got me thinking! *ha*
Anyways, your best option to keep them from being stolen is keep them small, watermark them yourselves in Photoshop or another program, and, to be really protective, while keeping them for public view, don't add them to groups or add tags. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back