Flooded

That One Guy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My little town is being washed away. 2 major bridges in town have collapsed. A dam to north has broke. the river was already very high and starting to spill over it's banks. the local hospital has been evacuated. Right now the area of town i live in is cut off from the rest of the city. Flood water is within a 1/4 mile of my home. The military has set up base close by and their helicopters are flying over and learning the lay of the land. their helicopters are everywhere. the radio said authorities are expecting an evacuation of my area before morning. I had to go see just how bad things are and it is very bad. I drove as far as I could drive and people were frantic and trying to leave town, but there is no way out right now.

we are cut off.

http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=8446952

I hope you took your camera. That's something to help get you out of your latest funk.

*EDIT* Forgot to mention that I hope everyone is safe and damage is kept to a minimum.

thanks for all of your comments. no i didnt take my camera. honestly, it was the last thing on my mind at the time.

the flurry of activity in my area has ceased so i am taking that as a good sign.

im down in kentucky and heard this on our news today. im surprised that we didnt get any of that rain at all. seems like it got pretty bad up there

Let's hope the flood waters will subside shortly, Good luck

They will... :)

But just IN CASE they don't, have you taken any precautionary measures for if things get worse? Get your flashlights out, and put valuables in the second story, in case the water gets to your house. Perhaps you should fill your bathtub up with clean water in case your water supply becomes contaminated... There's probably only a .1% chance you'll need it, but its easier to drain your bathtub than to be thirsty.. And the water doesn't have to reach you to become contaminated... And it really sucks if the power is out and your stove is electric, cause you can't even boil it.

Everything will work out, though. It may get worse before it gets better, but at least you have plenty of warning and all... We'll be thinking about you!

im down in kentucky and heard this on our news today. im surprised that we didnt get any of that rain at all. seems like it got pretty bad up there
Yeah it did pretty bad. Things like that don't happen around here.

Thank you Doug. The water is receding.

They will... :)

But just IN CASE they don't, have you taken any precautionary measures for if things get worse? Get your flashlights out, and put valuables in the second story, in case the water gets to your house. Perhaps you should fill your bathtub up with clean water in case your water supply becomes contaminated... There's probably only a .1% chance you'll need it, but its easier to drain your bathtub than to be thirsty.. And the water doesn't have to reach you to become contaminated... And it really sucks if the power is out and your stove is electric, cause you can't even boil it.

Everything will work out, though. It may get worse before it gets better, but at least you have plenty of warning and all... We'll be thinking about you!

Things are better now :) Water is receding in parts of the town. Thank you everyone for your comments and concerns :)

That's pretty nasty. How is your place. Sufficiently far from the flood waters?

My place is fine :) The fork of the river near my home was at 22.5 feet above flood level before receding. I was sweating it for a little while though.

Thank you for your concern :)

There you are. You're glad you live on high ground :) Lots of silly people in Britain bought cheap houses built on flood plains then wondered why and whined when they got flooded. Duh!

There you are. You're glad you live on high ground :) Lots of silly people in Britain bought cheap houses built on flood plains then wondered why and whined when they got flooded. Duh!

Yeah we have folks here who chose to live right next to the river. The spring thaw and spring rains usually cause the river to spill over it's banks and floods those people. They keep going back for more though. I don't understand that.

Simple - they never passed their geography at school to learn what "flood plain" meant!
worst thing was in the UK they tried to stick all the blame on the Environment Agency for not protecting the homes - which is unfair when develpers are moving at a much faster and reckless rate (town councils also - mostly - failed basic geography)

It's good to see you're ok, now grab the camera and document the carnage. You may get some gems like the $75million Dragline which was photographed 50m underwater when we had our colossal floods at the start of the year.

Lol better than our town council. Brisbane government approved the development of the upper Brisbane river knowing full well in the last 100 years it's been 3m underwater twice.

But for us Logan really takes the cake when they approved the development of Collingwood Park an area that used to be am underground coal mine. Last I heard the locals who didn't do their research before buying are scratching their heads why parts of their houses are falling down or why there is a 30cm wide crack in the middle of the road.

Most reactions

Back