Florence Statue

SleepingWolf

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
florence.jpg

Wow. I think there is a bit (little bit) too much black on the right, but nothing important, in fact. The B&W treatment is the kind of those i often dislike, but this one is well chosen. It only lacks a black/white frame to be perfect.

My, look at all the SCARS on the men!
They must have been in many a fight before they set out to rob the Sabines (is it what is depicted here in this statue, you happen to know, SleepingWolf?)
I like the all black background you managed to create so we ONLY see the statue, and personally I am not too unhappy with its centred placement within the frame, though I can also imagine what Willpops has visualized, i.e. a crop from the left and the top to place it slightly more left within the frame. But that is a matter of taste, I think.
The duotone treatment (is this a duotone? I think I haven't quite grasped THAT idea as yet, but this is not "sepia" as such) looks good here, and - like I was saying first - I really like the all black background.

acsonpg said:
Everything is just right!
Thanks.

The photo is uncropped - I try to frame what I think is the best angle and perspective - this is subjective of course.. but I always keep the rule of thirds in mind and I think this composition respects that.

this is a colour photo, desaturated in b&W - the statue isn't extracted, the levels have been pushed very far ..on my monitor the black is not pitch black..you can actually see textures in the background.

as for the sabines? i honestly do not know the history behind the statue...i would love to find out though. it was shot near the Uffizi.

:)

LaFoto said:
They must have been in many a fight before they set out to rob the Sabines (is it what is depicted here in this statue, you happen to know, SleepingWolf?)

Good call LaFoto - you know your history!
As you are aware, they did more than just rob. Based on your post I entered this "The Rape of the Sabines" in google...and it was exactly what is depicted as well as the name of the statue!

The Flemish artist Jean de Boulogne, known as Giambologna, was one of the finest sculptors of the Mannerist school who created his own personal style around an elegant and carefully studied formalism with refined and dynamically balanced figures. He studied in Antwerp in the workshop of Jean Dubroeuq and then lived in Rome from 1555 to 1557. From there he moved to Florence to live under the protection of Francesco dei Medici. He took part in the competition for the monumental fountain in Piazza Signoria, which was only won by Florentine Bartolomeo Ammannati for his greater experience in practical execution. He later carried out the fountain of Neptune (possibly based on his rejected design in Florence) for Pope Pius IV in Bologna (1563-66).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back