Florida wildlife, lots of pics!

Silverpenguin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.richardpeters.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Right, I've processed some of my shots from my latest trip to Florida. Being that hurricane season was over there was a lot more about this time, plus I had better equipment with me to make the most of it. I've just put up a random selection here as I couldn't decide what ones to show. All taken with either D3 or D300 and all with the 200-400 VR (most of which had the 1.4 on as well).

Random locations

Cormorant profile - a great example of how sharp the 200-400 is even with a 1.4 on!

RP1_4111.jpg

Ibis at sunset

RP1_4555_ibis.jpg

Me taking that shot (I think, but it was around that time)

me_sunset.jpg

Sanderlin (or Dunlin?!)

DSC_0028_sand.jpg

Ruddy Turnstone

DSC_0075_ruddy.jpg

Green Cay Wetlands

Osprey and Belted Kingfisher. They were sitting in an old dead tree at sunset, and I thought it funny that they were on a branch each, both looking for fish and facing away from each other :D

DSC_0905_king_osp.jpg

The same Osprey. The sun had just gone below the treeline but he was flying up where the light had this amazing red glow!

RP1_4278_osprey.jpg

Tri Coloured Heron fishing
RP1_4250_tri.jpg

Viera Wetlands:

Little Green heron hunting

DSC_0304_little-greeen.jpg

American Bittern - watched this usually hard to spot bird for about 20 mins. Eventually he found a snake and they had a 10 minute fight to the (snakes) death. Got so many shots of the Bittern both alone and with the snake, so here is one of them...

DSC_0242_D300.jpg

Least Bittern - another tricky to photograph bird, I got him out in the opn 'just', the move FAST through the reeds!!

DSC_0099_least.jpg

Although I quite like this one too:

DSC_0102_least2.jpg

Snow Egret fishing in late afternoon

DSC_1123_snow_e.jpg

Great Egret at sunset

DSC_1162_segretsun.jpg

Cormorants at sunset

DSC_1167_corm_sun.jpg

Phew, loads more but that's a nice selection. Saw a HUGE alligator as well, might stick him up at some point.

And lastly...no birds! lol

DSC_0395.jpg

American Alligator (Viera) - had this shot in mind for ages but this was the closest I got to it. He was backlit and facinh away from me which wasn't ideal. Maybe next time!

RP1_4428_alli.jpg

!!! now that is an impresive set of shots!
Really like your creativity with the birds in flight in the first post.
I tried to pick a fav - I really did -honest -- but I couldn't,
Of the lot I think your hunting photos are the best - great action shots - would love to see more of Bitten vs Snake

What a delight to look at. Each and every photo presented here is ever so good!
(Though I would not want to see any more photos of the Bitten vs the snake, for I feel for that snake. Looks like it was a pretty one ... :( --- says the mother of a snake owner who has grown to like snakes ;)).

Sames as Overread, I find it impossible to pick out a favourite.
The sharpness (and colour of background! ;)) of the first is overwhelming.

The little "story" in the osprey-kingfisher photo is so funny.

The light on the osprey in flight is so wonderfully extra special!

The photo of the tricoloured heron fishing ... that actually has good chances to reach the top of my estimation ladder... but then there's the snow egret, and the "frozen" water around his feet ... but no. The heron it is. I think...

I am hoping that its one of those time, practice, experience and good light things!
At least that thought is what is keeping my sanity together...

nice series, what part of Florida is this

Sorry did see that you gave two of the locations as Viera and Green Cay Wetlands

Last edited:
Hmm, excellent images.
These definitely shows the quality of the lens and how much it counts.

What gear are you using? Those are amazing shots!

Wow, that is an excellent set of shots. I personally love #1 cormorant and # 14 Great Egret at sunset.

Great work and thanks for sharing.

Wow, all amazing shots. Nice work. I live in Florida and don't see all that wildlife.
The Viera wetlands is west of Melbourne, a little southwest of space costal baseball stadium, it the same south exit off I-95; Green Cay is in Palm Beach northwest of Delray Beach, On google map they both looks like a reclaimed or fabricated area

I’ve heard a lot about Green Cay before but have never gone there before, may i'll try to get there over Christmas holiday

Last edited:
Thanks all for the kind comments, equipment specs are in the first post :)

I am based at West Palm Beach when I visit Florida and these were shot at various random locations, as well as the couple of wetland places I mentioned. You see just as much wildlife when your just out and about as you do at the wetlands which is one of the reasons I love Florida so much!

EDIT: Viera is exit 191 off the I-95, Green Cay and Wakodahatchee (both within a mile of or two of each other) are off exit 51 I think, or it might be 53...forget off the top of my head.

Most reactions

Back