Florida's Ghost Orchid

prem

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
On a trip down to the swamps of south Florida, we were hiking in an area known to host ghost orchids (Dendrophylax lindenii) and happened to come upon an acquaintance from on-line (we did not know he would be there). Once he knew who we were, he proceeded to tell us of a plant that he saw with multiple flowers in a nearby area and offered to take us to photograph it.

It is very rare for this species to have more than one bloom per plant per season. Five blooms or more is exceedingly rare, as this plant is doing (three flowers, one spent flower, and one bud):

Taken somewhere in south Florida (location not disclosed to protect it from poaching):

dendrophylax_lindenii_five_flowered_plant.jpg

1/6 second, f8, ISO 100, Sigma 105mm macro, Canon Digital Rebel XTi.

Enjoy!
---Prem

Wow, thats really cool. Ive lived here my whole life and I havent seen one. :jealous:

Awesome looking orchid

Amazing orchid and as you said you were really lucky to come across such a beautiful specimen. This is an endangered species that only grows in Florida and Cuba and it is extremely difficult to grow outside its natural habitat. It is some kind of 'holy grail' for some orchid growers. Your pictures made me want to watch the film Adaptation again, in which this orchid plays an important part.

Also, Jay Pfahl, who compiles an orchid encyclopedia online, might be interested in your shot. I don't think he would pay for the picture (too many on the website) but you would get credit and your picture of an in situ specimen is much better than the one he has at the moment.

Most reactions

Back