Floriday Keys - underwater

alcina

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kjaphotos.com.au
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had such an awesome time on my trip to the Florida Keys - couldn't have met better people. The diving was warm and there was a lot of growth on the reefs. There were quite a few fish etc, but it's not as active as the Ningaloo Reef. Still very nice, though.

I only did three dives on the weekend as mostly I spent it schmoozing instead :) I also had to shoot a system I'd never even touched before and of course I put it all together about 15 minutes before I walked out the door. It worked out alright bar a few little annoying problems, like one strobe not firing all the time, as I wasn't there to concentrate on shooting anyway.

I shot a Nikon D200 with the Tokina 10-17 lens. I knew I'd buy this lens eventually but shooting it didn't really make me go WOW. For my needs the Nikon just doesn't do it for me and I don't like the colour out of camera. I'm sure that there are settings I could use to make it more palatable, but there's nothing in it for me as I adore my 40Ds anyway. I was just surprised. Housing was a Subal and strobes were Inons (just like my own set up, so that was good.) Here are just some happy snappies.

My buddy getting close to a ray, our other buddy in the background. These are two of the coolest guys on the planet - love 'em to bits!
ITK08_uw011.jpg

Flutemouth trying to pretend he's part of the coral tree
ITK08_uw021.jpg

A school of fishies - these schools were all over every site but they are extremely uncooperative with turning their butts to you. Especially with this lens as you have to almost become one with them to get close enough
ITK08_uw031.jpg

One of our group cruising behind a different school of fishies
ITK08_uw05b1.jpg

As always, enjoy...

Can't view your images :(

neither can I :( - and I have refreshed the page a few times

Hmm, I hope a mod or something can figure it out coz the images show up for me and I did it the same way I always do :(

They are gorgeous.

I can only begin to imagine how complicated it is to take a good picture underwater. The process of choosing a subject, selecting aperture/speed, composing, metering, focusing, and shooting is probably very different from what most of us are used to. All of that while withstanding the pressure of the water without a stabilizing structure like a tripod.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Wonderful underwater shots! Lighting conditions are so tough, you handled it very well. The shots show good colour and good composition. I like 'em all! (Do you have a fave amongst these?)

Thanks for sharing these.

I like the last one!

Thank you all! I'm glad you enjoyed them coz I sure do love being under there and being able to share :)

(Do you have a fave amongst these?)
My favourite is the one with my buddy and the ray just coz I had such a good time on that dive.

I don't hate any of them, but I sure wish the fish would stop and pose exactly where I wanted them to be!

Very nice and not the kind of photography we get to see here every day (and certainly not the kind of photography I myself will ever be able to produce). I am happy for you that you had the chance to dive around the Keys ... I was there once, back in 1995, but only on land, never diving, let alone photographing under water. The water looked so turquoise!

I quite like both colour distribution and composition plus double subject of the last photo with the school of fish (predominantly yellow) against the blue top with diver!

Thanks, LaFoto :) The water was beautiful most of the time. One day I'd like to go back. Glad you enjoyed the shots!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back