flower close up from my light box

His image is huge because the first one is called a macro shot (im sure you knew that)...

He's talking about the file size. It's a big file so it takes longer to load than it probably should for forum viewing.

And, he recommended the bulbs because cosmo mentioned he was using the "energy saving twirled ones" (which are fluorescent and so aren't the same temp as daylight). So, I'm guessing Don was trying to be helpful by recommending similar bulbs that had a good temperature to aid with white balance issues.

Just to clarify.

Last edited:
If that shot were done in one of your little precious light tents rather than in his home made one, would you be making the same comments? I think not.

His image is huge because the first one is called a macro shot (im sure you knew that). Many photographers do them, and Many use white as a back drop. The brightness of the image is NOT too bright, and really shows the true vibrance of the color. Rip it and look at the histogram yourself, it's near perfect.

Props to you, cosmo, for the wonderful shots. Sorry I didn't reply to your PM, My internet connection is taking a poop on me, and I am lucky I am connected right now. It looks great!

thank you so much for the kind words, you really helped me alot with white balancing and everything and i really worked hard to get this shot just right

no worries on the PM i just wanted you to see im taking your advice to heart!

thanks again

He's talking about the file size. It's a big file so it takes longer to load than it probably should for forum viewing.

i understand it is alittle large of a file and in the future ill limit file size this is the only pic ive done this with i was so afraid to lose any quality so i kept it at the same size.

hopefully you liked the pic anyways?

I know initially he was talking about his internet connection, but then he started to talk about how the flower was like "BLABLAM" basically, and it's not.

Secondly, My internet connection is going slower than an 80 year old lady in a voting line on election day, and they loaded at a decent rate for me.

i understand it is alittle large of a file and in the future ill limit file size this is the only pic ive done this with i was so afraid to lose any quality so i kept it at the same size.

No worries, it happens. But, now you know, so just be mindful of the issue. Don gave some good advice:

Anything in the 750 x 750 at a resolution of 75 will look just as good and load a lot faster.

People like to help out, but when the image they're supposed to give advice on takes a while to load, they may get a little annoyed (and Don expressed that).

Also, in the future, when someone critiques an image you've uploaded and you don't agree with them, you can blame the issue on the compression you've done to make it more accessible to everyone ;).

cosmoepic said:
hopefully you liked the pic anyways?

I do, as I mentioned in an earlier post. Keep it up.

you started off asking if i think keeping it at a large MP would be better,which sounded like you were picking a fight

Definitely not trolling/looking for a fight :mrgreen:

I should have taken the time to be clearer. You are posting a request for critique and IMHO posting a large file will result in a lot of clicking the back button….

i like to keep the image as close to untouched as possible when posting on here so all detail can be easily seen by all

Posting a Straight Out Of Camera image is a good thing, I still maintain when viewing on the net a ~300k image is sufficient. Another thing to consider, when the board automatically downsizes it with a border, do you not find that distracting?

and i can get good constructive criticism helping me become a better and more creative photographer.

A noble pursuit and not as common on the boards as you might think. I just ask that you consider that if you present yourself in a professional manner you will be taken more seriously.

i apologize for assuming everyone has a high speed internet connection, i guess i was wrong to think that, but please if you're going to critique my work, please do that, and not judge how its posted and how ive typed in the forum.

Fair enough, let’s move on.

Your choice of subject matter is a good one, lot’s of detail, color and depth.

As I hinted at previously, your choice of f value is a personal decision. For a product shot I feel a totally in focus object is desirable, as an art shot anything goes but only another photographer will appreciate details such as a shallow depth of field and smooth bokeh.

Your enthusiasm comes through and I think it would be worth while for you to consider a few improvements to your set up. The 5500k lights are the obvious first step, inexpensive clamp on reflectors will give you more control over the lighting.

Adding another light on the top will help with light fall off and result in a more uniform background.

You have done well considering and only you can decide if you want to take it to the next level.

Cheers, Don

Most reactions

Back