Flower Macro

Discussion in 'Nature & Wildlife' started by andrew99, Jul 21, 2008.

1. andrew99

andrew99 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm new to macro, actually I don't even have a macro lens, this is from my Nikkor 50mm f1.8 prime lens. It was raining, which I think brings out the colours everywhere, and I love the raindrops on the flower! The DOF is a struggle when working this close.. would a macro lens help? Any comments/criticism/tips much appreciated!

[​IMG]
    f5.0, 1/100sec, ISO 200, 50mm.

PS: After hearing about so many cases of photos being stolen from flickr and other places, I'm now watermarking everything I upload to the internet, so apologies for that.

2. Geno

Geno TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Beautiful, The colors are great. :thumbup: Sorry I can't answer your question about the macro lens.

3. Do'Urden's Eyes

Do'Urden's Eyes TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    DOF with a macro lens is ridiculously shallow. its definately tough focusing with one sometimes because through the viewfinder youre working with widest aperture and smallest DOF so it proves tricky getting the right area in SHARP focus. Its almost necessary most of the time to stop the lens down a bit too because of how shallow the DOF is. Macro's great fun though isn't it? the world at that level never seems to bore me!

I really like the intensity of the colours in this shot by the way. ive recently shot the same type of flower and it seems to now be almost every where i look! very common i guess.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  4. ernie

ernie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i think you nailed this shot and a macro wouldn't make much of a difference. if you want to get really close, say inside the flower, a macro would probably come in handy. but for this distance ... no.

5. nymtber

nymtber TPF Noob!

I would personally have stopped down to say..f/8 or maybe (depends on what the lens does at that distance) f/11. That would probably have brought the whole flower into focus and really really made the picture sweeter to MY eyes. Composition is ok, but I prefer not to have the subject centered...more pleasing to the eye that way.

Other than that its a beautiful picture! great colors, and I love the raindrops :) I have a Minolta 50mm f/1.7 on the way for my sony....cant wait :D

A true macro lens would help...although unless you really get into macro, they arnt necessary. That said, I will be saving for a sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro in the future.

6. tb2

tb2 TPF Noob!

Nicely done. The colour is about as saturated as you'd want to go, but it works here. The other quality of macro lenses is they tend to be very sharp. I tend to shoot macro at f11 or even f16.

Regards, Tony