Reaction score
Website
joeydsmith.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
how can u tak epicures liek this:

floral-9-thumb.jpg

i did not take that photo.

do u have to take the flower with you home and set up lighting and a backdrop and stuff?

Light is the key.

You can do it like you mentioned, or you can shoot it on location. Some people carry around black or colored sheets of thick construction paper or cardboard. Just place it behind your subject and light it from the front. A small reflector is also very handy outdoors to avoid having to use flash.

That actually looks like it was backlit. something was behind it like black velvet, or something REALLY black, and ther was a light underneath and behind it.

I've seen a photoshop that looks as equivalent. I mean, I know it's a duh answer but things that dark rarely exist in real life. I bet it's photoshopped, even Velvet reflects.

I've seen a photoshop that looks as equivalent. I mean, I know it's a duh answer but things that dark rarely exist in real life. I bet it's photoshopped, even Velvet reflects.
Only if you shine light on it.

I've shot objects on black backgrounds before using film, meaning no photoshop. I used velvet as my background, and on the negatives and the Polaroids, there isn't a single indicator that velvet was the background, the subject just looks like it's floating in some black space.

The whole thing looks photoshopped to me, the background and the flower.

FYI, just x joey you are only suppose to post a link if the work isn't yours.

He didn't ask if it was photoshopped. Photoshop is not the only way to do things people. As already mentioned, this can easily be done. You have to control the light. The light is simple blocked from hitting the background. If it's in a studio, the flower is placed far enough from the background to avoid being hit by light. If it's in nature, the background is shielded from sunlight by a flag or gobo, and a reflector is used to bounce sunlight back up from behind.

The Beatles' album "With the beatles" with the "floating in space" look was achieved with a velvet background.

18.jpg

Released in 1963. WAY before digital and Photoshop.

Yeah, seriously. All you need to do is have a black background, and shine your light towards the camera with the light in between the subject and the background.

Yeah, I know. :er: :wink:
I thought I would say it anyway because both the flower and background has a completely unnatural look to me. I would suggest practicing it at home before trying in the garden.

Yes, but your post didn't add anything to the thread, or help the original poster. Practicing at home or in the garden doesn't matter, if you don't understand how to keep the light off the background.

Yes, but your post didn't add anything to the thread, or help the original poster. Practicing at home or in the garden doesn't matter, if you don't understand how to keep the light off the background.

I wanted to add that since you and Woodsac had filled the OP in on the technique I was trying to help by telling them to try indoors first. That removes one of the largest variables and obstacles to good flower photography, the wind.

Most reactions

Back