Flower

M @ k o

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Not quit sure what kind of flower this was but, I was woken up like 10 o'clock one night by a friend that asked me to take a picture of this flower that only blooms a certain time. Don't really know to much about it, I just know that I spent 4 hours there to see it bloom. Then Closed back up. Just wish I had a better roll of film at the time. It was pretty cool watching it.

2flower.jpg

zoomfl.JPG

deveel said:
Looks like some "*cereus something", a cactus. Do you have also pics of the plant itself?

Actually I do. Not good of a picture, but here it is.

fl3.jpg

That's not what I expected .... so I was on the wrong track after seeing your first shots. Sorry. May be I'll find out but it could take a while. I send you a note if I had success.

From the leaf it looks like a night-blooming cactus. I used to have one in the garden, but other things overwhelmed it and I don't know if it's still there. Sorry, I don't know the scientific name.

I honestly can't tell from the actual flower because mine never bloomed - they are incredibly sensitive to light, even having a street-light a couple of houses away will stop them flowering.

Cheers
J

kay I'm going to say it official name is "night bloomin cereus" or "orchid cactus" or more correctly "Epiphyllum oxypetalum"

In my language, this plant is called ""Queen of the Night" because it only blooms at night, giving out a very strong scent while doing so. My dad's got one that bloomed some three years ago and he, too, got up at night to take photos of the blossoms. You don't see these every day (or night, for that matter ;)).

Sorry, LaFoto, the true "queen of the night" is another plant. The scientific name is Selenicereus grandiflorus. However, there are many night blooming cacti and it's really worth staying up the night to see and shoot these flowers.

Thx for all the research and feedback. I now have one growing in my backyard. But, It has a long way to go before blooming. Thx again ;)

very nice pictures... I'd like ot have this kind of plant in my garden :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back