Flowers my children brought me...

crownlaurel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since I don't have any pretty flowers growing here, I thought I'd use these to practice playing with DOF.

I'm not sure what this flower is...

outside:

playingwd40291.jpg

On my table (wall is wine colored)

playingwd40316.jpg

playingwd40332.jpg

flowersontable0001.jpg

flowersontable0001_1.jpg

flowerontable0001.jpg

I like the outside shot the best of these. What is your white balence set on? Looks funny to me in the indoor shots. Could be my monitor, but the first one looks ok.

WB is set to auto right now. When I have set it to what I think is the light source it does weird things except when outside and set it to natural.

I'm pretty sure the color cast is from the light bouncing off my red wall, but I could be wrong. My main concern for these was to get practice with the DOF with this camera since I can't adjust the aperture to more open than 5.6 even though I try (and I am sure I'll find it in the manual somewhere), I wanted to manipulate my proximity and the zoom (only goes to 55mm) and see what the results could be.

Love the composition. The colour has a heavy yellow cast. Try printing the different WB settings. This will help in what you percieve as the proper WB and or colour correction.

Love & Bass

Thanks Craig.

Is it better to try to print at home (I have an HP officepro L7580) or take it somewhere? I'm notorious for never printing photos. I've probably printed 1 for every hundred I've taken, even of my children.

Yes, underexposed, very true. I think I bumped up the ISO to 1600 but I couldn't get the aperture open any further and I think I forgot to change the exposure compensation. It was getting late and dark outside and that was the only clear shot that came out. Lights inside are dark too and that wall is too dark (but the only non cluttered thing in the house :lol: ).

The flowers have died today even though they were in water, and not as pretty but I will try again with other things soon.

I so appreciate the comments. And thanks again to Craig. I was able to color correct a little bit by filtering out some yellow on my editing software (no PS). I had to adjust the brightness but I'm learning one step at a time, LOL.

flowerontable0002.jpg

flowersontable0002_1.jpg

For me printing at home is the way to go. I spent a fair amount of money on a photo quality printer. That may not be for everyone.

Generally any printer that has the word "office pro" is going to be disappointing. As technology grows that will not hold true. At any rate I say bring those files to the local lab.

Love & Bass

My main concern for these was to get practice with the DOF with this camera since I can't adjust the aperture to more open than 5.6 even though I try (and I am sure I'll find it in the manual somewhere), I wanted to manipulate my proximity and the zoom (only goes to 55mm) and see what the results could be.

I'm just going to assume (given the information that your zoom only goes to 55mm) that you are using the kit lens. Therefore, the maximum aperature is 3.5-5.6 or something along those lines (at least thats what it is for my Canon kit). So depending on your focal length you only go so far with it.

Is it better to try to print at home (I have an HP officepro L7580) or take it somewhere? I'm notorious for never printing photos. I've probably printed 1 for every hundred I've taken, even of my children.
I second what craig said which is definitely take your shots to the lab. I'm working on saving up for a Epson R2400 (among other things :lol:) and it will do up to 11x14. But it is pretty pricey and if you don't do a lot of printing its probably more worth your while to just take it to the lab or upload them to one of the many various websites.

Most reactions

Back