Flowers

Discussion in 'Commercial/Product photography' started by motherlee, Jun 27, 2010.

1. motherlee

motherlee TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am going to be shooting a bouquet of flowers this week and was practicing today. I just used some fake flowers that were laying around, so they aren't pretty!

Can I have some helpful critique on this shot? I think I need a slightly higher camera angle. The client specified that they want to see the vase, but mostly the flowers.

I used a soft box above to the right, a flash at the background, my SB600 into an umbrella low on camera left and reflectors on the left side and low camera right. I realize that I really need more light on the background, but am limited to my two studio flashes and my BS 600.

[​IMG]

Advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Leanne

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    First off, unless the client specifies it, I would lose the white background. Depending on the colour of the flowers, black, or a contrasting jewel tone would be my preference. It's a little hard to offer too much advice without knowing more about what's required. I think you've got lots of light, but it's rather flat and boring. Maybe a snooted keylight at 45 deg camera right and a second light about 2 stops down camera left.

3. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

You're not far off.

What I'm seeing that troubles me is a focus issue. Did you focus on the blooms that are nearest the camera? It doesn't appear so. Try that.

Your lighting scheme is OK. I'd aim the background light a bit lower so it hits right behind the flowers.

White is a good choice. Placing a delicate subject onto a deep, heavy background may not work out. Keep it light and airy.

-Pete

4. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Did you use a tripod because you were shooting at 1/20, you need to use a faster shutter speed to stop ambient light entering the shot

5. jonyroger

jonyroger TPF Noob!

Flowers are beautiful forever. There are so many reasons depending on the colour of the flowers, black, or a contrasting jewel tone would be my preference. It's a little hard to offer too much advice without knowing more about what's required.