flowery

Discussion in 'General Critical Analysis' started by 2493photography, Oct 1, 2007.

1. 2493photography

2493photography TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    [​IMG]

ok, so i'm against flower photos. but then again, i thought about taking a simple one to test that. anyway, not much to say really except perhaps tear it down. oh, and this one, it's OTE.

OLYMPUS E-500
    1/250 second
    F/5.0
    ISO 100
    123 mm

2. PerK

PerK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think that I like the colors -- I would have liked to see a more off-center composition, and the purple flower cast much sharper.

3. 2493photography

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thanks for replying. colours were washed out in this photo so i did have to edit them a bit, but i have achieved the same thing in-camera just not with the water background. i always have and always will disagree with the centered argument, since i find a solitary object should be in the center or slightly offset (as it is here).

but i don't understand what the flower cast is...

thanks again for replying

4. DigitalDiva

DigitalDiva TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm distracted a bit by the blown out area to the top left of the flower and the grey streak / blob in that blown out area. None of the image seems to be sharp and that's due to the aperture choice, as I'm sure you know. I would've shot it at f11 and given more focus to the flower's central point.

5. 2493photography

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i agree to the highlight thing, although it may look ok on some other monitors, it looks like a milky white to me (not exactly blown) but you are right. the blob does attract attention and as for the sharpness, it's not quite so. the full size image looks ok enough, and it's not the aperture that's closed it down like this (f/5 isn't that shallow) but the macro filters on top of the lens. i tried to focus on the petals at the bottom and get just a part of the center focused, you know, take it a bit out of the cliche area...

anyway thanks for the input, did not see the blob :)

6. DigitalDiva

DigitalDiva TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No probs! You're not a 'flower' person anyway. So I'd be interested in seeing other stuff by you. :)

7. 2493photography

Photos NOT OK to edit
    all right, done :) i've posted a new pic in the same forum, check it out :)

8. meotter

meotter TPF Noob!

the flower is borderline out of focus or very soft and the water is distractingly over exposed. i almost have to squint at the image because it's so bright. the flower is also very bright... too much overall saturation perhaps?

i do like the contrast of the purple to the water and the composition.

9. meotter

meotter TPF Noob!

[​IMG]

here's my edit... it's less harsh on the eyes... but the overall image was a little too overexposed for me to do anything with (my PS skills not so good)

10. 2493photography

Photos NOT OK to edit
    the softness is only at this size, at a decent size it's sharp (upwards of 1024px) i have double checked it. and the water looks quite grayish to me, you're probably using an LCD and therefore have a brighter image. as for the saturation it looks a bit washed out, especially compared to your edit... you probably have an lcd which ups the contrast, saturation and brightness since while there may be a possibility of overexposure, it sure isn't that bright...

as for your edit it's a nice touch but i feel that now the background is competing with the flower... the colours are too strong, and the little things in the water are more visible... also, it's lost a lot of quality and sharpness in the process and the saturation of the petals looks a bit unreal...

but anyway thanks for taking the time to comment and edit :) maybe on the real size image you edit would've worked better.