Fluorescent Light Kits vrs. Photoflood Kits for Interior Architectural Work - BEST???

I certainly appreciate all the feedback, I'll respond with a few specific questions later when I have a minute, but right off the top of my head, what I'm wondering, is exactly what you all are referring to as studio strobes? Are you just talking about additional "flashes" set to slave?

Can someone please post a link to a specific product that you are recommending?

Thanks a LOT!
:mrgreen: Jeff

Strobe is used generically for any type of flash, this could be a hotshot flash, AKA speedlite and can be used on or off camera, via a cord or wireless trigger, as far as studio strobes go, they usually require being plugged into a wall outlet, and can be found in a couple varieties; either a mono light, that has it's powersupply built into each flash unit, or you can get one large power supply and use one or more flash heads.

From the research I've done tonight, using strobes or multiple flashes seems to be the BEST method for lighting interiors. However, it seems to be a method that requires more SKILL than I currently posses.

From Alzo's website:
Strobe Lighting [is] NOT recommended for beginners... Many trial and error shots required for quality results. Flash Meter strongly recommended. Not intuitive.
On the other hand, also from Alzo's website:
Continuous Lighting [is] Highly recommended. Easy to Use - For beginners & Pros... No trial and error. No triggering issues. No exposure problems. Set it up, shoot, done.
For that reason, I believe I'm going to stick with continuous lighting for now, and possibly include a couple of flashes too (which I already own) where need be. As I get better with my gear, I would like to look into either shooting with a BUNCH of flashes working together (and leave the cords at home) or the studio strobes as you all have mentioned. But I think that is trying to go too far too fast right now.

With that said, I'm convinced now to stay away from the fluorescents, and I'm planning to purchase 3x 500w tungsten light stands, to add to my 2 existing 250w tungsten stands.

I'm seriously considering purchasing this NRG 1500-watt, 3-light Photoflood lighting kit, which includes 3x 500w (switchable to 250w) tungsten photofloods. The only thing that is nagging at me at this point, is whether I would be best served with the tungsten kit, or with using a focusing Quartz-Halogen kit instead?

Here are a couple that I'm looking at: Lowel Omni Light, Standard Focusing Quartz Light, 100-500w, or NRG 1800W, 3-light Focusing Quartz Kit

Both tungsten and quartz-halogen appear to produce the same color temperature (3200k), however I'm concerned that the quartz-halogen may OVERPOWER my interiors when I shoot.

Here is a snippet from NRG's website:
FOCUSING QUARTZ KITS: Quartz-Halogen light kits in 1200w 2-light or 1800w 3-light configurations provide ultra-efficient, intense light and are best utilized at a distance, such as stage, theater, or industrial applications. Optional 250w lamps adapt the lights to be used at closer range for interview, dialogue, or other similar situations.
Between the options for CONTINUOUS light, what does everyone recommend for shooting architectural interiors?

THANKS again for all your feedback! Some of it is way over my head, but I'll save this thread and try to learn as I go here!

Ok... here's what I've fallen for:

Lowel Elemental Kit, comprised of their Tota & Omni lights (tungsten halogen).

Does anyone have experience with these lights? Do you think they will work well for interior architectural work?

Is there a continuous light source that is BETTER for this type of work?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back