Fluorescent lighting & white balance

selkie305

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am fairly new to digital photography and recently bought the Lumix FH20 after reading several good reviews online. I have had pretty good results with it so far, with the exception of pictures taken in fluorescent lighting. There is no specific setting on this camera for fluorescent lighting. I could have used the IA (Intelligent Auto) setting, and I should have given it a try, but I didn't like how the color looked in the camera. I set the white balance manually, and it looked OK in-camera, but when I downloaded the pictures they all had a yellow cast to them. ;)<(like this) You know, like when you held a buttercup to your face as a child. All the faces had yellowish patches, and hair looked bright yellow, even on light brunettes. The yellow was resistant to all editing techniques that I could think of. I finally fixed the photos by uploading them one at a time to Picnik and using, of all things, the teeth whitener tool. Set at about 50% strength and using the largest brush setting, it removed yellow cast from the entire picture. But I never acheived what I thought was a completely natural skin tone. I know I'll have to play around with the camera's settings to see what it can do, but does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!

The are many different fluorescent light sources with differing color temperatures.

I THINK you can set the white balance on that camera... "white set"? is that right?

If so, you should do this each time you shoot under mixed lighting.

I hope this helps.

-Pete

Most reactions

New Topics

Back