Fly fishing during the night

SashaT

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A couple of days ago, I got a phone call from a friend. The conversation basically went like this: Him: You ever fish mice before? Me: Nope. Him: Do you want to try it this Saturday? Me: Sure let me clear it with the wife. The call was followed up with a text of a couple of fish pics that had me even more excited about trying it. After clearing it with the wife, I told him that I would meet him on the water at 9.

The day of the trip saw a lot of thunderstorm activity in the valley. As I made the relatively short two hour forty minute drive, I went through several decent storms. When I arrived at the location, it was raining pretty nicely and the sky was completely cloud covered.

After dunking my old kit mid-range zoom lens, I recently purchased a replacement. I was curious to see how it would do under the dark conditions and being hand held. I took a test shot after I got all set up to see. This one was shot hand held at 1/10 f2.8 ISO 100. Actually I shot all of the scenery shots at 1/10 2.8.

_D714812_zpsamm5mcvl.jpg

It was starting to get dark very quickly as we walked down to the water. Once there we waited a bit to watch what was going on. As we waited, we saw a nice size vole enter the water and start to swim towards the other side. We watched with anticipation for something to strike it; however, the vole ended up making it safely to the other side. I took a couple more scenery shots and then began to fish.

_D714814_zpsnhlydehe.jpg

This is the same shot but without the exposure adjustment I made in Lightroom

_D714814-2_zps3inqmxin.jpg

Same as above one shot with and one without the adjustment.

_D714815_zpsxzvcye82.jpg

_D714815-2_zpswccpngjg.jpg

We had been fishing a while when I heard a splash downstream. Almost as soon as I heard that, I heard him say that he had one. I stopped fishing, turned on my red headlamp and went down to help net the fish. It wasn’t one of the monsters that live there, no matter now the skunk was off.

_D714817_zpsndk8rg0t.jpg

A short time later, he hooked a much larger fish. On my way down to help net it, the fish ended up getting off. I went back to fishing and soon I heard a splash and felt a large tug. In my excitement, I had forgotten what I was told about mouse fishing here, tried to set the hook to early and ended up not hooking it.

We decided that we had beaten up this hole enough and moved on. At the next hole, I took a quick break while he fished for a bit. He didn’t get anything there then I decided to try. On my third cast, I heard the telltale splash, this time I slowed myself and did not miss the hookset. I could tell that the fish wasn’t that big but it did fight quite well. He netted the fish for me, I took a photo and then the fish was released.

_D714818_zpsaretr6ey.jpg

We continued downstream and fished several more holes. Neither one of us ended up hooking anything else the rest of the night. Each of us had several more missed strikes, some of which sounded very large. Around 0110 all action ceased, at this point it was decided to call it. We walked back to our cars and took our gear down. He was staying the night so he got set up and I took off back for home. While no huge fish came up this trip, I had a great time and popped my mouse fishing cherry. I loved fishing like that in the middle of the night although, I don’t think that I would do it by myself.

Yes, good story. I love to fish! I just got back from five days of saltwater salmon fishing and camping and am tired,sore, but very happy, and was in the mood for anything about fishing this morning! I sure do envy you the fine trout fishing you've got there. I've only night fished a few times, always for black rockfish using topwater plugs...the SOUND of a fish slashing at the floating offering and the strikes in the dark are both absolutely exhilarating! Night fishing is awesome.

Thanks guys, I seriously think that I may have found my new favorite thing to do. Although neither one of us managed to land any of the over 30" guys we still had fun, besides there is always next time. I will say though that there is something not quite natural about wading into water in the middle of the night.

Great story,nice fish. The only time I usually fish is at night,all nighters some times.Caught around 30 blues last summer, a small sand shark,a couple sea robins, a nasty freaking spider crab and a star fish. I do fresh water sometimes but early day break or sunset but mostly for large mouth bass. IMO Night fishing is the best.

Most reactions

Back