Flying Gulls

Ray Hines

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After reading the article by Kris (coastalconn), Capturing distinctive bird images, I thought it was to time to give it a try myself. Here's my best shot from this morning. The sun was front right to the camera so there was nothing I could do about that, except get a boat :) Anyway, Pentax K-r, Tamron 70-300 lens, f/8, 1/1000 sec and ISO 200, Continuous Focus, Multi Shot. Slight PP including Levels, High Pass Filter and Exposure adjustments. The first shot is the full image the second a 100% crop. CC & ideas for improvement very welcome.

Gull1.jpg

Gull2.jpg

I'd say you got it in focus. Watch your camera angle - big tilt to the left (I have the same problem). Luckily, now I have an indicator in my view finder that helps.

The biggest thing to me is getting the sun back right instead. When there is nothing else you can do (position of the sun), you may have to over expose slightly.

I'd say you got it in focus. Watch your camera angle - big tilt to the left (I have the same problem). Luckily, now I have an indicator in my view finder that helps.

The biggest thing to me is getting the sun back right instead. When there is nothing else you can do (position of the sun), you may have to over expose slightly.

Thanks for the reply, it's appreciated. As for the camera tilt, I didn't care if the camera was upside down or at a 45% angle, as long as I got the bird. Cropping is a wonderful tool :rolleyes: I'm more a still life photographer rather than things that move so just getting something in focus is a result for me. I was more worried about the focus and I'm not 100% happy with that aspect. How far would you go to get the whole bird in focus? f/? I'll remember the tip to overexpose next time I'm out, thanks.

I've had a look at your Flickr account and see some wonderful bird shots, so can I hit you with something else?

I took this shot this afternoon and I think there is a good photo in there somewhere. Can I ask, how would you crop and process it? I know a little Photoshop but I'm certainly no expert, especially with birds. Any help, from anyone, would be appreciated.

IMGP9995-Edit.jpg

Here is my original crop and pp, but I'm sure it can be better. I just don't know how to bring out the best in it. If anyone would like a go with the original .PEF .TIFF or .JPG file just let me know and I'll send it to you.

IMGP9995-Cropped.jpg

Thanks for the compliment.

As I track birds particularly from right to left, I find my self and the camera leaning more and more :) , so I know what you mean about just getting the darned tweety bird in focus :biggrin-93:

The F number I choose really depends on the situation however with the lens I use most (Tamron 150-600) I have F8 dialed into a couple of custom presets.

I like the crop you have in the photo you just posted. What I notice most is some red fringing / chromatic abberation around the gulls wings, mostly towards it's feet. How to Fix Chromatic Aberration in Photoshop - Digital Photography School

If you haven't already, you can try decreasing your highlights and maybe increasing your shadows just a tad. Play with the sliders in camera raw.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back