Flying With Camera Equipment after 12/25/09

Airlines do NOT accept camera equipment as checked in luggage because they do NOT accept any liability for it.

I believe they will.... but you'll have to assume risk (TSA locks require in the US). In the past, I"ve checked in my tripod and other "less fragile" times to make room in my carry on. Its perfectly reasonable for a zero carry on policy for security but the airlines should provide accommodations or options that are better than 1) checkin assume risk 2) don't fly. This is especially true when they are charging for checkins anyways.

Actually, it is not perfectly reasonable for a zero carry-on policy for security, at all. Check airline sites and you will notice that most will not accept camera equipment at all in checked in baggage, because they will not accept liability. Beyond that of course, is that theft from luggage is rampant at some airports as well as luggage NOT going to the right location. Bottom line is that if the most secure airlines in the world: the Israelis do not get totally idiotic with security restrictions why should the US, Canada and the West.

TSA at the moment seems to be saying that a camera, a laptop, and personal items such as medication can be carried on the airplane but NO clarification as to cameras plural, lenses, strobes, and associated equipment.

skieur

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen any changes for domestic US flights. I believe these restrictions are for US-bound flights originating on foreign soil.

After having a friend work as a baggage handler and hearing his stories, I'd never check my camera gear even if the airline permitted it. It's always a carry on. Except the tripod, it goes in the checked luggage.

I don't fly much, maybe once or twice a year, but when I do I always fly Southwest. They don't charge you for checked luggage, provided it's under 50 lbs. And you get two checked bags per person, no charge.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen any changes for domestic US flights. I believe these restrictions are for US-bound flights originating on foreign soil..

That is correct.

skieur

Continental:

"Continental recommends that you carry valuable items such as electronic equipment, cameras, film, cash, jewelry, medication, prescriptions and keys with you on board the aircraft."

I travel with mostly Continental, Delta, and American airlines. None will prevent check-in of camera equipment but they all recommend that you don't due to the fact that they will not take responsibility. Their statements are similar... just a recommendation with a warning/disclaimer.

My point...

If the airlines would solve the issue of theft, transport issues, and implement insurance (with a fee of course), it is absolutely reasonable to have a policy of zero checkin. If the customer has to be accommodating to these new security measures, I think it is reasonable that the airlines should also be accommodating. I actually would prefer it as my observation (in the past) people would take advantage of it with abnormally large carry ons leaving others without any choice but to check in and it slows down boarding.

Story... I was on a flight that I was late. Some jerk came on board with one of those folding suite cover thingys and took up practically a whole bin to himself. I had my pelican 1510 and explained that there was no way I was going to check in unless the airline can guarantee with insurance that it would be safe. I pointed to the fact that allowed over sized luggage on board and I am taking penalty for it. In the end, they checked my camera in with the strollers and made sure it was hand delivered after landing. If the same guarantees can be offered for everyone, then it is perfectly reasonable.

Postal, FedEx, or whatever... are trusted with thousands of dollars of equipment to be transported every day. We all buy expensive camera equipment online and we have it mailed to us. If we have the confidence that those mailing services can insure and move camera equipment safely, then I don't see why airlines cannot be expected to do the same.

agreed, it's quite ridiculous.

That being said, it is getting to the point that it's actually worthwhile to ship your own equipment via fedex to yourself in the city you will be travelling to. That way it's insured, and you know it will actually get to you in good condition.

As someone who works in the aviation industry and did pre 9/11 and lunatic underwear bomber it has been a depressing decline in the level of common sense in security procedures. I now travel on the airlines about six times a month. It is a huge hassle. For my work like many a carry on bag is necessary. If the airline loses my uniforms and stuff I can't do my job. Fortunately not too much has changed for in the U.S. flights yet.

I am flying out to Monterey with the wife next week and we are planning on bringing most of our gear. I sure hope we can still carry it on because I don't think I would trust our gear to the whims of luggage sorting systems.

For what it's worth, I flew within the US just 5 days after that event and it was fine. Camera stuff was in carry-on with no issues. And yes, before someone yells at me, I realize that this discussion is mainly about international flying.

Most reactions

Back