Flying with camera

Sweetsomedays

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hope this is not the stupidest question ever.
I am going to be traveling home and was wondering if it's a good idea to take it on the plane. Can it go threw the x-ray machine and all without issue. It will just be in my small tamrac backpack so it will fit under the seat or in over head no prob.
Thank you.

For film I know the xray machine can exposr it and ruin it, Personnally when I travel I dont let them x-ray my $1800 camera body or flash cards I take it out of the bag and put it in the bin not to be put through the x-ray machine, I dont want to take a chance.

As a Nuclear Medicine professional, I know for a fact that X-ray can in no way damage a camera, film or digital. It can, however, fog fast film.

Speaking as a former airport ground crew.
You want to bring your camera with you on the plane. If you have a Peli case or similar. (Water proof and can take quite a beating). People who work at the airport live by a rule, treat any and all lugage as if it where your own. (This is why they are carefull when they pack fragile items.) The x-ray will not damage the camera, but as stated in a previous post it might damage sertain film types.

Please bring your camera in your carry on luggage, don't send it. If not for anything other than to be able to relax and enjoy the flight.

I fly twice a year and in the past three years which is 6 flights they have lost my suitcase 6 out of 6 times. It shows up about 6 hours later and one time the next day. It is never gone foever, but it has always been late and lost for a few hours. Plus, just last month they left my bag sitting on the tarmac and it was rained on. I would never, never place my camera bag in with my check in stuff. I will always, always carry on my camera and camera bag.

Good choise,
One should have a peli case or similar. I know how those people think. (Oh and a fragile sticker.... not even worth the money.... Some of them don't care.... some of them think that they should pack their property better.... and the worst still, they consider it a challenge....) Be absolutely sure when checking in your camera at an airport, have it in a waterproof and strong case. If not for anything but piece of mind.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back