fng question from old man

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by mysteryscribe, Dec 9, 2006.

1. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    What to buy... I'm looking for a reasonable quality tlr but I want an off brand. I have been looking at the argoflex but frankly it doesn't have x sync or much of anything.

I don't want a yashica or a rollie not even a ricoh. I certainly dont want a leubtel. I have been thinking graflex 22 or the frenchie version of it.

Anybody got any suggestions on an oddball one I can keep an eye out for. I dont want to pay a thousand dollars for it but I don't mind paying a rasonable amount. I just want one to display and pick up and shoot now and then.

2. newrmdmike

newrmdmike TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i'd get the graflex . . . apparently there are places in just about every state where people can go trade these for reasonable prices. i'd look for one of these places where you could maybe get one for a decent price.

3. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Based on personal experience, the Minolta Autocord is a decent choice.

4. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

The Autocord is great. Wouldn't fit the requirement of being off-brand or oddball though. Is that a cost issue or just a preference for the more unusual makes?

I have a Ricoh with sticky shutter speeds and missing the glass of the pop-up magnifier if you'd like it - not sure whether it would be worth the cost of postage and getting it fixed up though. If you're interested it's the Ricohmatic 225.

5. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No thanks i'm looking at a voitlander at the moment. Might go for a dejur or maybe even one of the american 620s. Just have to wait and see what strikes my fancy.

I had a ricoh back when i was in the studio thing. I used it as a backup. I liked it a lot.

6. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well i was winning bidder on a 120 tlr... those things are hard to buy. The more I read about the ciro the less I wanted one. They said that graflex improved them but I don't know.

What I got was an off brand that didn't check out to be too bad. I haven't got the camera yet so I don't know what it will be like. It will be more a paper weight that anything else, but I wanted one more 6x6 tlr I gave away and sold all mine from the studio days.

So I got a photina whatever the hell that is. It is a 3.5 f75 with a walta or some such lens. I'll have to see what kind of shape its in when I get it in two weeks or longer. The seller is no hurry to close the deal and I'm not in any hurry to get it. Sometime around the first of the year will be fine.

7. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Could that be the Photina made by Photavit-Werk around 1953? Cute little TLR, usually with the 75/3.5 Cassar lens but variations are known to exist.

8. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I haven't got it yet but that's the one. I decided on it because it is pretty simple looking so I should be able to bring it back. I also gave my own tlrs away.

Do you happen to know anything about that wart lens lol er is that werk

9. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, it's a triplet lens and it will perform fairly well, especially if you use a lens shade. The Cassar was actually made by Steinheil (in Munich, Germany) and it used to be called Actinar, sometime in the 1920s. Name changed to Cassar sometime in the 1940s. Steinheil went belly up in the 1960s due to the Japanese lenses invading the market.

Chances are your lens will be coated, since it was made after 1940 but still use a lens shade when shooting with it. If you can't find a lens shade, find a plastic jug (milk?) which can fit over the lens, cut it in the form of a shade and paint it matte black.

Good luck.

10. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the lens shade idea.

I'm actually planning to shoot it with a strobe indoors. A kind of family party camera. I have soooo many cut film and field cameras that I couldn't shoot them enough in a lifetime. Most however will not fire a strobe and a steady supply of flash bulbs is expensive and hard to maintain.

I have been giving thought to a anastar 105 f4.5 from an tourister set up for flash bulbs on a polaroid 80b frame with a roll film graflex back to go out now and then and make a wedding picture. Might make a good show for my son in laws digital business.

11. MTMTexas

MTMTexas TPF Noob!

I have a Graflex 22, grey leather case & that funky flash unit in my collection.

I also have a Yashica 124g, an A and Autocord I love to use. Old TLR's are great!

I don't print & process my own any more, and can't find a reasonable processor..

ciao,

Tom

12. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the photina came today. the shutter got locked up somehow. Most likely it was when it came. I worked with it, poured some naptha in it and now it works. Just have to let it dry to see how the lens is but the shutter looks just peachy Keen. Best of all it xsyncs.

Now Im waiting for the yashika if my wife doesn't find out I bought so many cameras I'm gonna have a merry christmas.