I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
dug an old, seemingly junker camera out of a box the other day. I had originally slated it for the garbage pile so i can free up some room for more of the wifes sewing stuff. Now, normally I wouldn't really have given this thing a second look, but the lens looked a bit interesting and i am kinda sorta almost interested in seeing what sort of picture it will produce. I put some batteries in it and it actually appears to be in some semblance of working order, and in overall good shape (ran an old roll of film through it just to test the mechanisms) But, the one big issue i found is that the foam seals on the film door are bad. bad is in almost completely disintegrated.
I believe i have seen on the forum once or twice people replacing these and it not being overly difficult or costly.
If it comes down to having to take it in to a shop somewhere, i would just as soon toss it back in the dumpster box since its not worth more than a couple bucks anyway. heres what I got.

PB240014.jpg
PB240017.jpg
PB240015.jpg
PB240016.jpg

Ohh I like Konicas! This one might be too 'high-tech' for me if it takes batteries. However...

I'm going blank on who I've seen recommended that makes precut light seal kits, maybe someone else will know or I could look it up.

Supposedly you can use the velvet from the inner edge of film canisters (a lab may save some for you) but I haven't tried it. I was going to try it, to replace a mirror bumper, but the owner of our local camera shop (who since retired and went out of business) told me to try the soft side of self adhesive Velcro - that worked just fine

I have a pair of camera repair books by Tomosy that are out of print and can't remember offhand what adhesive is recommended. I can look it up, maybe someone else will have suggestions.

Ohh I like Konicas! This one might be too 'high-tech' for me if it takes batteries. However...

I'm going blank on who I've seen recommended that makes precut light seal kits, maybe someone else will know or I could look it up.

Supposedly you can use the velvet from the inner edge of film canisters (a lab may save some for you) but I haven't tried it. I was going to try it, to replace a mirror bumper, but the owner of our local camera shop (who since retired and went out of business) told me to try the soft side of self adhesive Velcro - that worked just fine

I have a pair of camera repair books by Tomosy that are out of print and can't remember offhand what adhesive is recommended. I can look it up, maybe someone else will have suggestions.
The camera actually has a really good feel to it. Has some dust behind the viewfinder glass, but i assume that's cleanable as well.

I watched a couple of YouTube videos on light seal replacement. Most people seemed to buy a chunk of foam and just cut it to the size they needed. although, they didn't say how they determined what type or thickness to use, or if they used the same foam by the mirror.

Honestly, it did not appear to be exceedingly difficult or time consuming, but i just don't think I can drum up enough interest in shooting film right now to bother with it, and the camera isn't anything special enough to hold onto in case I change my mind later.

Have you tried googling the model number plus 'light seals'?

Have you tried googling the model number plus 'light seals'?
I have not.
I watched a few videos with a few different cameras and decided I didn't want to mess with it. I don't imagine the process varies drastically between models. It wasn't needing to know what material I needed that keeps me from wanting to do it, but rather the entire process and a lack of significant interest in actually using the camera even if I did.

I imagine the cost of having someone else do the work would far exceed the value of this camera. I'm guessing it's not worth more than $10-$15 in its present condition. Not worth sticking back In the closet again IMO.

I would stick a roll in it tape it up and check the shutter speeds are ok before wasting my time on seals, that lens would be fantastic on my A7

I would stick a roll in it tape it up and check the shutter speeds are ok before wasting my time on seals, that lens would be fantastic on my A7
That's a pretty cool idea! did run a roll of film through it. shutter speeds seem to be ok, as far I can tell anyway. It really doesnt matter too much though since I'm not gonna mess with it anyway.

If push comes to shove, and you really want the shutter speeds tested, I have a timer that will do it.

If push comes to shove, and you really want the shutter speeds tested, I have a timer that will do it.
Appreciate it man, but whatever tiny bit of interest I might have had for messing with this old junker camera has waned...
it felt good holding it though. Nice weight to it. Feels substantial.
thought for a brief moment it would be fun to shoot some film again, but I'm over it now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back