Focus point

Remi M.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this photo of my cat, sort of spur of the moment. I really like the expression on his face (knowing him, there really is nothing much going on behind that expression though). Trouble is I shot it at a too big of a aperture and I focused on the nose. I really wish more of his face was in focus. It would be difficult to reshoot. So my question is, is the focus acceptable and I'm being too picky or is it too far out?

883765486_c3f13a7b7f_b.jpg

Just about acceptable. Nice image.

I agree with Elsaspet. I think it draws you in with the way it is captured... And I don't even like cats LOL (dog lover)

Very nice.

The problem is not so much the focus as the eyes which are need to be brighter and have more punch. The eyes might show up better in colour.

skieur

Thanks for all the great comments :)

Skieur:
I like the idea of making his eyes brighter. I tried it, but there is just too much noise, it does not look good. Tried color, but the blue and red collar is overpowering as he is a a grey cat.

I think I should just chalk it up as experience. I still like it though :)

yea, when i looked i thought it was great use of DOF and i like the shot.

May i ask how noise comes from you brightening the eyes? What technique do you use?

* i took your photo into photoshop and did the eyes in about 1 minute with an action i made, let me know if you want to see it or want the action

I like it the way it is. I agree that it draws your eye in the way it was shot. And I know all about trying to get some good kitty shots! :)

Stranger:

Yeah I would like to see your pchop please :)

I just did a quick levels adjustment and a mask for the eyes, and it really stood out that the eyes were not in perfect focus and that the noise from the higher ISO stood out. but like I said I would like to see what you did.

Thanks for all the great comments, but it's hard to get better if everyone is so nice about it :)

I like the image, but the one thing that bugs me is that one set of whiskers is in focus and the other set isn't. Like the DOF just needs to be a tiiiiiiiiny bit deeper. But I'm really probably being too picky, it's a cute photo. I have a soft spot for cat pictures.

The DOF actually kind of frames his face perfectly.

Even a slight brightening of the eyes would add to it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back