focus question

gsd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need help with this picture. I wanted both people in focus. I have a canon rebel xti with a 18-55 lens, olympus f-40 external flash. What did I do wrong?
IMG_6759-1.jpg
[/IMG]

image didnt work, from looking at your post I would guess you wanted this image?
IMG_6759-1.jpg

with the XTI you can change your focal points.

You could also change your Aperture for less depth of Field

What were your camera settings?

Edit- I looked at the Exif data, Instead of F 5.0 bump that up a bit, this also probably would have let you lower the ISO from 800.

I am a noob so still wait for some one elses answer as I could be completely incorrect.

yes thank you. How did you do that?

I am not sure where my camera settings were. Is there a way to find out?

You have ZoomBrowser software that came with your XTI?
I used that to see the EXIF data (camera settings) and also saw your Auto Focus points.

I think its the Aperture you needed to raise on this.

adding image, click the
insertimage.gif

Button
then Paste you image code into the popup window and click OK

Hi GSD,
Once you take the photo, you should have an info/display button on your camera, do you see it? Click that and it should show you the data from the photo you just took..like F stop, speed, ISO etc...

Thank you dslrchat, to raise the aperture does the number go down or up. I keep forgetting.

Small depth of field in this one prevents you from having both in focus. Instead of f/5 go to a smaller aperture, like f/8 or beyond.

Did you shoot on Auto? stay away from Auto, try Av and set the aperture to the desired value. Also I would start using only the central AF-point, not sure how you can set that on your camera, and then focus on the face you want in focus, or if you really want both to be equally in or out of focus, focus on a point in between them (distance-to-the-camera-wise), keep the shutter release half pressed, recompose, and fire. You could also consider manual focusing of course.

You could also change your Aperture for less depth of Field

He wants more DoF though, not less ... hence you need a smaller aperture, or in other words a larger f-stop (f/8 or even f/16).

Edit- I looked at the Exif data, Instead of F 5.0 bump that up a bit, this also probably would have let you lower the ISO from 800.

A smaller aperture would mean higher ISO though. At least at the same shutter speed.

Thank you dslrchat, to raise the aperture does the number go down or up. I keep forgetting.

You have to go to smaller apertures (smaller "hole" to let the light through). Currently your aperture is set to f/5 ... f/8 or f/16 would be smaller apertures (and larger numbers for the f-stop: 8 and 16)

I do shoot in auto alot because I am not to sure about the manual settings.

gsd, even though you don't know me, TRUST ME when I tell you to get the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. One of the best books on photography I've read and it's very very easy to read and understand. You can buy it online too. It will help you with all of these questions and more!

You wont be able to get your desired shots in automatic, its better IF YOU tell the camera what to do. Just experiment with it in AV mode. Meaning you set the aperture and the camera sets the rest for you

gsd, even though you don't know me, TRUST ME when I tell you to get the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. One of the best books on photography I've read and it's very very easy to read and understand. You can buy it online too. It will help you with all of these questions and more!

I agree it is a good book for some, but not the right book for everyone. It is one of those books which try to give you a feeling how things work, but not why they work the way they do. For more technical people, this approach is a bit frustrating, for less technical oriented people it ideal though.

I also suggest wikipedia and other online resources on photography to get a first feeling.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back