Focus Settings?

2 minute video

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy3RVRFVmUE[/ame]

This is awesome!

hum no I am reading the complete book it came with.
It's my understanding that is not the complete users manual, just a quick quide, and that the complete users manual is on the white disc that came with the camera.

To be sure you can download the official, complete D3000 users guide as a PDF file at nikonusa.com.

LMAO @ this guy!

Wonderful

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Q9qyItTI0[/ame]

hum no I am reading the complete book it came with.
It's my understanding that is not the complete users manual, just a quick quide, and that the complete users manual is on the white disc that came with the camera.

To be sure you can download the official, complete D3000 users guide as a PDF file at nikonusa.com.

sweet thanks!

I've not watched the videos so I might be repeating but it worth having it down in words as well.

Think if focusing not as focusing on select parts of a photo but moving a plane of paper paralel to your lens front back and forth between the front of the lens and infinity - at some point along that line the "paper" will come into contact with the area of the photo you want in focus - the shot is now "in focus" as far as you are concerned. Now if you recompose the shot by holding that paper in that position (holding the focus) you run the risk that when you move the lens angle, the paper will also change to follow it and in doing so the plane of focus will shift off the area you selected before.
Of course if you use a smaller aperture (Bigger f number) your sheet of paper gets thicker (the depth of field gets larger) however that will also affect your overall effect on the photo and might not always be what you desire to have.

This is the risk with focus and recompose and its why this method works well only with lenses that have USM focusing motors - that is all the time manual focus. This way you focus - recompose - and then adjust focus manually (if needed) to ensure that the focus is where you really want it.

The other options are to focus using one of the offcentre focus points on the camera body (on lower end models these outer AF points are OK for still subjects but not ideal for moving ones when compared to the middle point); and also to use manual focus the whole time - this can be tricky with digital as the cameras don't have focusing aids that original film cameras had - instead modern bodies are made with autofocus being used as the default.

Great videos. Thanks so much for posting these!

Wait....If I wanted a certain something in focus and than wanted to recompose and move it to the left wouldn't I just select a focus point on the left?

What do you do if you have 2 people in a shot and want both sets of eyes in focus?

I have a 50mm I'm trying this on and I'm having a hell of a time. Shooting with a D5000. Any advice?

I have a D3000 and I'm so confused.
I read my manual
I have read this Nikon D3000 Autofocus Settings
and I still and having a hard time getting what I want the camera to focus on IN focus.

I have the focus mode to AF-A
Focus mode area to 3-d
auto focus assist is on.

and yet I still get photos like this (I had the block ON her eyes and it so did NOT focus on her eyes!

::image::

actually focused on her belly, however I blured the picture to make it look like her face was the MOST in focus....

Any pointers?

If your camera is in AF, it will automatically focus on the the closest thing to it or the most lit up object, do you have a Nikon?

Could you give us the EXIF for this photo?

Now if you recompose the shot by holding that paper in that position (holding the focus) you run the risk that when you move the lens angle, the paper will also change to follow it and in doing so the plane of focus will shift off the area you selected before.

I thought that is why you select AF-S (single) as opposed to AF-C (continuous) or AF-A (auto, where the camera decides if it wants to use single or continuous).

But if I use AF-S the focus will not change off where I had it set?

Just to confuse you further read this. Posted recently by someone else but I can't remember who.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back