Focus Stack Attempt

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After almost 2 weeks of waiting for new lens and other equipment, then just finding time to do it, I finally attempted a macro focus stack. We are pretty limited around here because of the heat and drought, so this little cactus was about the only thing I could find still green. I ended up with 7 usable images, because the sun was wrecking havoc on my settings, as is evident by some of the blown highlights. The other mistake I see now that I didn't catch at the time I shot it, is that I was concentrating so hard to focus on tips of the leaves that I forgot all about the detail further down in the leaves. Definitely need some more practice, but wow this is fun!! As always other comments and suggestions for improving will be welcomed.

cactus focus stack 1.jpg

Neat. Not sure if I will ever attempt it. I am more interested in weird **** happening in my view finder.

The little cactus was about 21/2" in diameter. I liked the fact that you can increase the DOF so much with stacking. Granted like everything, there is a place and time for everything.

You might want to start the focus stack from before the first thing is in focus, it seems like the tips closest to the camera are not in focus. That shot can also be used for the background to take it out of focus as you last shots in the stack can put more of the background in focus than you want.

Those blown highlights on the green leaves is often a problem. You would almost have to focus stack and do HDR at the same time for that subject.

But the shot came out nice for an initial try.

You might want to start the focus stack from before the first thing is in focus, it seems like the tips closest to the camera are not in focus. That shot can also be used for the background to take it out of focus as you last shots in the stack can put more of the background in focus than you want.

Those blown highlights on the green leaves is often a problem. You would almost have to focus stack and do HDR at the same time for that subject.

But the shot came out nice for an initial try.

Thanks, I was unsure on front to back or back to front focus. Various articles on it said it really didn't matter, but I want to try your suggestion on the next one.

The other thing I noticed is that I probably should have limited the DOF rather than trying to get the whole thing in focus, or increased the number of images significantly.

I shot this in the shade of a building, but clouds were causing a lot of change in the reflected light. Normally there is good light here, but in the future I'll have to take steps to limit that reflected light.

I agree with @Dave422. I personally like to start with the closest focus point to me. In this case the tips of the plant then work my way in and stop just shy of the the desired end point letting my dof of the last shot make up the rest.

I think you did a good job much better than my first attempt.

What program did you use for the stack?

I agree with @Dave422. I personally like to start with the closest focus point to me. In this case the tips of the plant then work my way in and stop just shy of the the desired end point letting my dof of the last shot make up the rest.

Thanks I appreciate the comments. I'm definitely going to try reversing the focusing order. However if I've calculated right that distance after the focal point is just under 2 mm. Any suggestions on determining the focus distance between the shots?

I used PS for the photo stack, importing as layers, then using Auto Blend.

My next project will be to try and incorporate Pixel Shift into the mix. If it works like I think it will, it should improve edge detail significantly.

Thanks I appreciate the comments. I'm definitely going to try reversing the focusing order. However if I've calculated right that distance after the focal point is just under 2 mm. Any suggestions on determining the focus distance between the shots?

I used PS for the photo stack, importing as layers, then using Auto Blend.

My next project will be to try and incorporate Pixel Shift into the mix. If it works like I think it will, it should improve edge detail significantly.

I usually just use live view and eyeball it or use a DOF calculator.

Most reactions

Back