Focusing in the dark

pborgbarthet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Canon EOS-350D with the standard EF 18-55 Lens and an EF 75-300 USM Lens and I like shooting people and bands at small etnic gigs that happen quite a lot in Malta, mainly in Summer.

My problem is that after dark I do not like using my flash as this I find, gives an artificial feel to the shot, which doesn't go with the style of the set up and the people. But without the preflash shots, the camera does not find a point on the subject to focus on.

Can someone please give me some tips, possibly referring to the Canon EOS-350D as to how I can manage these shots without using the flash.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

One thing that will help is a 'faster' lens (a lens with a bigger maximum aperture). The camera's autofocus works with light that is coming in through the lens, so if the lens has a bigger maximum aperture, more light gets in for the AF sensors to see. The 50mm F1.8 is a nice cheap lens to start with.

You could get a Canon hot-shoe flash unit, 430EX, 550EX, 580EX or the ST-E2. These all have 'Auto focus assist'. You can set the flash unit not to fire the flash and still use the AF assist.

the 350 has a AF assist lamp as well, does it only work with the flash up? If so, pop the flash, focus, change to manual focus mode, close flash and shoot.

I also have an LED maglight (very bright) that I keep in my bag. I use it for light painting (it is white light), as well as helping auto focus find its mark. once focus is locked I turn it off and am ready to go.

The other option is manual focus, which can be hard in low light on a small viewfinder.

Manual focus. Find something like a light on an amp, guitar pick guard or anything that's viewable. Focus on that... shoot.

AF needs light and contrast to work right. Your brain and eyes are much better. :D

the 350 has a AF assist lamp as well, does it only work with the flash up? If so, pop the flash, focus, change to manual focus mode, close flash and shoot.

This is what I do, it works great.

I have used a small flashlight also to help the camera focus. I just point the flashlight so as to light the surface upon which I want the camera to focus. I either manually set the exposure or lock the exposure before using the flashlight to avoid affecting the exposure with light that won't be there when I take the photo.

At the risk of being branded as an heretic, low light situations are the natural hunting grounds of the bright image rangefinder rig.

I use the af assist on my 430ex and just have it not fire the flash or I can turn the exposure comp. of it down all the way and diffuse it a lot just to add a little light to the situation but you wouldnt be able to tell there was a flash.

I'm with Torus on this one.

I just found a way...feel a bit silly actually. If the camera is set on Full Automatic (green box) the AF-assist helps to find a focus in a split of a sec.

I should really play around with my camera more :)

Thanks eveyone for the help though

Most reactions

New Topics

Back