Focusing in the dark

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by pborgbarthet, Apr 3, 2007.

1. pborgbarthet

pborgbarthet TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have a Canon EOS-350D with the standard EF 18-55 Lens and an EF 75-300 USM Lens and I like shooting people and bands at small etnic gigs that happen quite a lot in Malta, mainly in Summer.

My problem is that after dark I do not like using my flash as this I find, gives an artificial feel to the shot, which doesn't go with the style of the set up and the people. But without the preflash shots, the camera does not find a point on the subject to focus on.

Can someone please give me some tips, possibly referring to the Canon EOS-350D as to how I can manage these shots without using the flash.

Thanks

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

One thing that will help is a 'faster' lens (a lens with a bigger maximum aperture). The camera's autofocus works with light that is coming in through the lens, so if the lens has a bigger maximum aperture, more light gets in for the AF sensors to see. The 50mm F1.8 is a nice cheap lens to start with.

You could get a Canon hot-shoe flash unit, 430EX, 550EX, 580EX or the ST-E2. These all have 'Auto focus assist'. You can set the flash unit not to fire the flash and still use the AF assist.

3. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the 350 has a AF assist lamp as well, does it only work with the flash up? If so, pop the flash, focus, change to manual focus mode, close flash and shoot.

I also have an LED maglight (very bright) that I keep in my bag. I use it for light painting (it is white light), as well as helping auto focus find its mark. once focus is locked I turn it off and am ready to go.

The other option is manual focus, which can be hard in low light on a small viewfinder.

4. RacePhoto

RacePhoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Manual focus. Find something like a light on an amp, guitar pick guard or anything that's viewable. Focus on that... shoot.

AF needs light and contrast to work right. Your brain and eyes are much better. :D

5. reshp1

reshp1 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This is what I do, it works great.

6. mjsneddon

mjsneddon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have used a small flashlight also to help the camera focus. I just point the flashlight so as to light the surface upon which I want the camera to focus. I either manually set the exposure or lock the exposure before using the flashlight to avoid affecting the exposure with light that won't be there when I take the photo.

7. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    At the risk of being branded as an heretic, low light situations are the natural hunting grounds of the bright image rangefinder rig.

8. DeepSpring

DeepSpring TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I use the af assist on my 430ex and just have it not fire the flash or I can turn the exposure comp. of it down all the way and diffuse it a lot just to add a little light to the situation but you wouldnt be able to tell there was a flash.

9. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm with Torus on this one.

10. pborgbarthet

pborgbarthet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I just found a way...feel a bit silly actually. If the camera is set on Full Automatic (green box) the AF-assist helps to find a focus in a split of a sec.

I should really play around with my camera more :)

Thanks eveyone for the help though