Focusing on a prosumer camera

Chumpy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi
I've had a couple of SLR 'format' cameras, but never had a true Digital SLR.

The major problem I had with the cameras so far, was the fact that I couldn't tell if it was truly in focus or not....

I try to take pictures of my marine fish, through the glass in their tank. However, this causes problems with the cameras AF system.
Due to the resolution of the LCD preview monitors, I found that the camera appears to think its in focus, but when I view the actual picture on my PC, its all out of focus.....

Is there a way to focus better, on SLR 'type' cameras??

Or is this one of the primary reasons for buying a true Digital SLR??

Thanks

Im not sure what you mean by "slr type camera" but on DSLR cameras you do not look at the LCD to take the picture, rather the LCD is there to display the photo after its taken, you look through the viewfinder to compose your shot. Also if your getting out of focus pictures it may be due to dirt on the tank clean the glass so your camera does not know its there and therefor can focus on something insode the tank such as a fish or plant.

Use the viewfinder and use manual focus. You didn't say what the camera was so I am assuming it has a manual mode since you say it's SLR-like.

I'm using a variety of SLR format cameras, but with fixed lenses. These are not true DSLR's - hence my question.

Thanks

dsp921 said:
Use the viewfinder and use manual focus. You didn't say what the camera was so I am assuming it has a manual mode since you say it's SLR-like.

If you can manual focus, try that...but you are running into one of the shortcomings of "SLR-Like" cameras...

Also, make sure that your subject is not closer than the camera's minimum focus distance. If you have Macro mode, try that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back