Focusing on the D70- 18-70

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Familyphotog, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Familyphotog

Familyphotog TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I feel stupid posting this, but I thought I can't learn anything without asking. When I am adjusting the focus on the small ring I feel like I am just turning and turning....I don't know why but I feel like it is not in focus most of the time. My photos look grainy and I feel like twisting the focus is not getting me anywhere sometimes. My polarizing filter is also stuck on the lens so I don't know if maybe that's it...

2. o hey tyler

o hey tyler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    sample pix plox

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    First of all, may I ask why you're not using auto-focus? Modern digital cameras tend to work much better in auto-focus than in manual, especially since they don't come with split-prism focusing screens anymore. The focusing ring will turn infinitely, but at each 'end' of it's travel (that is at the point of minimum focus and infinity) you should feel a slight change in tension.

The CPOL may be having an effect; why is it stuck on? Is it damaged, or just over-tight? Try wrapping a thin rubber band around the filter and using that to give you some additional grip. As well, make sure it's nice and warm (as in hot room warm, NOT heat gun, flame, or heater warm). Both of those may help.

4. Familyphotog

Familyphotog TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It is not an AF lens, it's manual. I will certainly try the rubber band idea.