I am the Lord thy Mod
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
just started dabbling in macro photography, and the first thing i noticed was how hard it was to get good focus when i have to move the object and not the camera. at 1:1 the DOF is so small, even tiny movements affect the focus area. trying to move objects around on the table to get focus where i want it was a real painus in the anus. the solution (I hope) is a focusing rail. picked up this cheap 4-way rail on ebay for about $25. I stuck a quick connect on the bottom to mount it to my tripod, and the threading on the top is already the right size for my cameras. it moves front/back and sideways with turning knobs, and each rail has a locking screw to hold it in place when you get it where you want it.
It does appear to be just the solution i was looking for.

DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0112.jpg

Well crap. I saw this from you and just KNEW you were giving it away. Guess I'll run off to ebay and see if I can find me one for cheap.

Can't wait to see photos.

Great price on a nice find! I paid WAY more for basically the same thing new when I got mine years ago.

And yeah, that's just what you need. :)

Nice!! I've been needing to pick up a focus rail for some time. Will be interested to hear what you think of that one in terms of sturdiness and results. I'd definitely be willing to part with $25 for one! The ones I've looked at before were considerably more expensive--hence, the reason I still don't have one.

a few test shots with my D600, $25 macro rail, and $50 Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro lens.

1:1
1-1 (1 of 1).jpg

1:2
1-2 (1 of 1).jpg

1:3
1-3 (1 of 1).jpg

um...dont remember. probably still at 1:3
X2 (1 of 1).jpg

in conclusion...
holy cow, what a difference the focusing rail made.
so much easier to get focus. live view is pretty much worthless, i really had to do it from the viewfinder.
focus assist was....eh, it was ok. it helped. would love to see how focus peaking works for this.

Next step: Focus stacking. :)

ooooooh I hadn't even thought about that...
maybe next time. have to look up how to do that in PS or LR. probably a PS thing yes?

The build quality on this is pretty good.
its aluminum with steel gear rails.
weighs in at 1.6 pounds.
it feels pretty solid, and its not like ill be needing to use it on a daily basis.

DSC_0117.jpg

I think my next move might be to get a longer focal length macro lens

Welcome to Macro - say goodbye to free time and your wallet ;)

Got the very same rails and yes I rate them well too - Adorama even sells the same design under their own name. Personally I think its either these or going for Novoflex rails if you want manual rails (Novoflex being the high price high grade option). After that its motorized rails.

ps which macro lens are you using?

Welcome to Macro - say goodbye to free time and your wallet ;)

Got the very same rails and yes I rate them well too - Adorama even sells the same design under their own name. Personally I think its either these or going for Novoflex rails if you want manual rails (Novoflex being the high price high grade option). After that its motorized rails.

ps which macro lens are you using?

I picked up a sigma 50mm f/2.8 DG EX macro lens a while back for $50.
No real complaints, but i have to get the lens really really close to whatever I'm shooting. I was thinking of a longer lens just so I don't have to be right on top of stuff to shoot 1:1.

Last edited:
Sounds sensible.
I generally say anything below 60mm isn't really practical at 1:1 for most situations. I'd say keep an eye out for something like a Tamron 90mm or even a Sigma 70mm would give you more than you have now to work with.

Course depends on your budget; you can get a nice 150mm or 180mm from sigma to really give you some distance!

For focus stacking I have Zerene Stacker. Now I need a focus rail like this as I have just manually run the lens through the range. :)

Or hit up KEH for a nice Nikkon 105 Micro manual focus. You can generally get one rated as BGN fairly cheap.

Most reactions

Back