Foggy Morning

crzyfotopeeple

Vanimal
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
DSC_0711.jpg

Don't mind the fog, but that's a personal thing. I would be tempted to crop out some of the foreground, maybe about where the rock is just left of centre about 20-30% of the way up the image. The reason I suggest this is that there really isn't anything in the foreground to capture the viewer's interest. All things of interest in the current image are in the upper half of the picture. Just a thought.

WesternGuy

Don't mind the fog, but that's a personal thing. I would be tempted to crop out some of the foreground, maybe about where the rock is just left of centre about 20-30% of the way up the image. The reason I suggest this is that there really isn't anything in the foreground to capture the viewer's interest. All things of interest in the current image are in the upper half of the picture. Just a thought.

WesternGuy
I see what you mean but I was trying to keep the original aspect ratio.

WesternGuy
I see what you mean but I was trying to keep the original aspect ratio.
Well, I suppose you could always crop in from the right and a bit from the left. Don't worry about it :biggrin-93:. This was just a casual observation on my part and maybe it might help in your composition for future landscape imagery.

WesternGuy

Nicely framed but, for me, the fog isn't as impressive as it should be.
Just not enough fog or something that editing could do?
If you crop away or cover over the bottom half of the picture, it looks foggier. you could try a low contrast gradient mask over the bottom half of the picture that eventually merges with the real fog.

Blue accentuates fog in the capture. Maybe using an 80 series filter then white balancing the raw file after may render stronger fog.

GIMP or somethng similar in photoshop; two duplicate layers (mode: screen), layer masks, gradient tool. Additional layer, normal mode; contrast reduced -50, layer mask, gradient tool.

This is one of those pictures where my response is "It is, indeed... a foggy morning."

Foggy mornings are neat, but you still have to really nail an interesting subject and composition to make it work. I don't feel you've done that here, unfortunately.

Keep trying,

I agree with the cropping of the foreground, more of a 6x9 ratio. All the interest is in the top 2/3 of the shot but the foreground dominates attention. The colors are brighter, it feels sharper because it's not veiled in fog, and it takes up a lot of the picture, and I feel that causes the viewer to miss the more visually interesting things in the upper half. You can crop it to just above that rock and still maintain a sense of space leading into the trees.

Having said that, I respectfully disagree with the other posters who say that this doesn't have enough to be interesting. It's a subtle palette for sure, but subtlety is highly underrated, I feel, and the shades of green and brown are lovely. The composition feels balanced (with the cropping. Uncropped, it feels too front-heavy.)

Cropping would help a lot. Good point.

That said, the lack of interest (for me) isn't so much a palette thing, as it is a "Oh hey, another picture of a field and some trees in the fog" thing. It's one of those unfortunate things that has just been done to absolute death with nothing that really makes this particular one stand out.

Thanks everyone for all the insight.

Most reactions

Back