Foggy Night Tree

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by ShutteredEye, Feb 18, 2006.

1. ShutteredEye

ShutteredEye TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    [​IMG]

What do you think of the over all feel to this photo? I over exposed the shot a full two stops to preserve the detail of the branches against the sky. Are the blown lights in the background too bad of a distraction?

Also, the color is straight from the camera as a result of the overexposure, but it's pretty outlandish, thoughts?

Finally, in post I tried to really accentuate the fact that it was a cold misty winter evening (man I was freezing my stones off!!!!) Does the processing have that feel, or does it just look out of focus?

2. Fate

Fate TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I cant really feel the cold due to the warm colours in it, eg the light pollution in the sky. But as a photo i like it, it shows a nice contrast between the natural world and man made objects. I dont think the lights are too much of a distraction although the top left one is a little off putting. btw, i like the headlight streaks in it.

All in all, i think its a great shot!

3. JonK

JonK I want MORE!!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like the overall feel you went for tho i do agree it doesn't really put across a 'cold' feeling.
    Compositinally i think I would have positioned myself to set the tree more against the sky and in such a way as to not include the large building to the left. The lights from the lower row of buildings in the BG do add a nice effect tho.

4. ShutteredEye

ShutteredEye TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hmmm good point. Reshoot may be in order....

5. mcoppadge

mcoppadge TPF Noob!

This may not be a techinical critique so much as my personal opinion, but I think if it were darker it may improve to overall "feel" of the photo. Maybe? I'm not very good at this.