Fong, No Fong, Maybe Fong?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by sween, Jan 3, 2009.

1. sween

sween TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Don't ask me why, but I've become fascinated with the Gary Fong diffuser. It might because I know two local pros who use a Fong most all the time when working assignments on the road. Having a chance to gab with these two photogs, they both claim to really like this thing. Since I got a gift certificate to B&H for Christmas, I need to have one, too. You know how it is, you just got to have a new toy from time to time.

After reading a lot about this piece of plastic, I am full well aware that some love it, some like, some think it's no different than any other diffuser, even one you could essentially make yourself for all but free.

Since I'm going to give it a go, and it surely ain't gonna break me, my only question now is which one? Clear? Cloudy? Any thoughts and/or input of any kind appreciated. Fong has a vid on his site explaining both, neither of which seems to be all that much different than the other.

If someone talks me out of the diffuser, what else can I buy at B&H for roughly $50?

2. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Diffuser? How about a piece of paper as a flash card. Total cost $2 and looks pretty much the same. Or a correctly sized tupperware container. Either way could get yourself a new filter, or put the money aside for a new lens.

Just for the record regardless if people like it or hate it I doubt anyone thinks a tiny piece of plastic is in any way worth $50. Professional wedding photographers get it because it looks professional. If what people think of you rather than what they think of your photos then you need this product as you get some strange looks with a piece of paper rubberbanded to your flash.

Also what is a clear diffuser? If it's clear how can it diffuse. Get a cloudy one if you must.

3. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I laugh at people that waste 70-150 bucks on a piece of plastic that wholesales for 25 cents per unit.

This morning I went to my ex-brother in law's shop... he is a mold and plastic parts manufacturer... he had an order to create the mold for photographic diffusers ($750 to make the mold) and then to produce 22,000 diffusers.

His cost? 11 CENTS WORTH OF PLASTIC EACH! At 25 cents each, he is making over 110% profit... and WE get shafted for even more!!!

He offered me a few to take for my own use... no thanks. I get better results from the Better Bounce Card and that is EVEN CHEAPER (the price of a piece of white paper and a rubber band).

4. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    another vote for ABetterBounceCard.com Instead of paper, I made one from that craft foam material he talks about on the website. You can fold it down so that it's out of the way or fold it in half or the whole thing. Works well.

5. jlykins

jlykins TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the Phong. I have used it quite a bit, and it works well. That being said, I have both versions the clear, and the clouded one. I prefer the clouded version. It seems to be better at diffusing.

6. davebmck

davebmck TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree. I have a Fong diffuser and it works as advertised. However, I made some of the better bounce cards as mentioned above and I believe I get better results from the bounce card.

7. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    :) Tupperware is for leftovers!

The only thing you can do to better manage your light is to make the apparent source larger and the only real way to do that is to bounce or to shoot through a diffuser that is measured in Square Feet not square inches.

Sorry but there really aren't any magic beans.