Food for thought

Luminosity

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I actually read an article very similar to this one about 5 years ago and I have stayed right away from canola oil ever since. I've also warned other ppl from using it. The tough thing is that it is such a widely used substance in our food items these days that you really have to read labels before you buy.

The other article went into a few other medical conditions that can result from ingesting canola oil. It seems like another bout of scaremongering but it doesnt hurt to read up on these things.

http://www.besthealth.com.au/canoladangers.htm

Actually, I believe this was the article I read 5 years ago....

http://www.breathing.com/articles/canola-oil.htm

All olive oil user here. I did use canola in the past for frying but stopped, it gave a rancid taste to the food. Now I know why! Thanks Lumi!

Just about any warning that you read on the internet or E-mail is a rumor. If you are going to make decisions that affect your life...like what you eat & don't eat...don't base it upon rumors...find out for sure.

My soon-to-be in-laws grow canola and rumors like this could hurt their livelihood. I know a fellow, he is the head of Canola research at the University of Alberta and he uses plenty of canola products...if there was anything unsafe about it...he would know about it.

It isnt a totol 'net urban myth' type of deal. I have read up on it a lot since that first article garnered my curioursity and have found some interesting findings, health-wise.

And the findings dont write off everything like the way the 'Urban Myth' site does.They write off a lot of the 'scaremongering' claims but there are a number of health concerns that have arisen in further testing.

Sorry Big Mikey, I wasnt meaning any harm towards the future in-laws livelihood.

Anyone would be foolish to swallow anything ( 'scuse the pun ) whole and as it is presented, without taking some further delving into for themselves. Then ya make ya own mind up. I'm basically all for knowing about exactly what you're putting into your body thats all.

I'm with a few of you here; I use olive oil.

Luminosity said:
I'm with a few of you here; I use olive oil.

Woohoo! This girl knows what tastes best! :wink:

However, cook only with light olive oil, the cold pressed (first press) leaves an unpleasant taste when used as cooking oil. :D

And just for ya... a great recipe from Italy for a refreshing citrus salad. Yep, you read right, citrus.

2-3 oranges, peeled and sliced
4-5 scallions (green onion, diced)
1/2 to 1 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Mix everything in a bowl, let stand in a refrigerator for 1-2 hours. Enjoy.

Now, you could do this with the canola, could you?... :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back